Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Sunscreen Savvy

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm old enough to remember when the first studies came out linking sun exposure to cancer, and when the first sunblocks came out. Before that it was all "tanning lotions" that claimed to protect you from burning and nobody cared about SPF.

I'm a very pale person, and my skin has three settings: burn, freckle, and blindingly white. So the advent of SPF 50 has actually been a good thing for me because I can go to the beach without roasting like a chicken. One of the major risk factors for skin cancer is a serious, blistering sunburn in childhood. I had a couple, and I am making sure my kids don't. So people like my dad can roll their eyes at my liberal use of sunscreen for both me and my kids, but I know we're doing the right thing.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't know how to use sunscreen properly. Here are the key facts to remember:

Do: Use a lot...at least a shot glass worth, more if you are bigger or going to have a lot of exposed skin, such as on the beach.

Don't: Forget your (and your kids') neck, ears, lips, and the tops of your feet (my husband has a sunburn on his feet right now)!

Do: Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going outside, and you should wait even longer before you go in the water.

Don't: Think waterproof sunscreens protect you all day...you still need to apply at least once every two hours, and more often if you're sweating or swimming.

Do: Protect yourself further with sunglasses, a hat, and long sleeves if you're going to be out for a long time.

Don't: Assume you only need it if you burn easily. Skin of all colors can be damaged from sun exposure!

And another pro tip from me: If you use a retinol product, make extra double super sure your face is well-protected. Retinols make your skin more sun-sensitive and even if your makeup or moisturizer typically protect you, add another layer  of sunscreen just to be safe!

What's your favorite sunscreen? And how often do you use it?

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinkerxbell
by Emily on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I'm guilty of not using sunscreen on myself, ever... I've never had a sunburn before, even after being at the beach for hours with everyone else getting burned... but I really should use sunscreen on myself.. That did remind me I have to pick up some extra sunscreen to take for DS's summer camp thing next week.

KristinRox
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM

My favorite is the neutrogena wet and dry spray on stuff. We use it for whenever we are going to be in the sun for any length of time.

midnghtsprnkle
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:09 AM

only use it on my tattoo, as I dont want the colors to fade.

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM
I sunsvreen like no other! 3(mins begore going out, spf 50(atleast) me and all 3boys.. I re apply every 45min-2hr.. Depending... My 6yo has nevet had a sb!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bergencounty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Currently using , I had gottten it cheap.  So we are well protected. I share your skin shades if I don't use.,

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 4:16 AM

I usually just look for the one with the highest SPF.

mom2jessnky
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I use that spray on sunscreen that you don't have to rub in. Spray the kids down, spray myself down. Done.

We always do sunscreen, I'd rather be a pasty white ass yankee than look like a decorative autumn squash when I'm 30.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM

we tried the spray this year  didnt like it at all :( the smell of rubbing alchole was way to over powering and my son still got a slight burn 

BeachMommy07
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I use Sunscreen in a yellow/blue bottle it's spray on I can't remember the name. Tearfree.

batjmom
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:24 AM
I use LancĂ´me and I use a high SPF banana boat on the kids. I try to get a lotion on them early and then use the spray
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN