Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Heat Wave Survival

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 71 Replies

It's going to be 100 degrees tomorrow where I live, and it's not even going to be the hottest place in the country or even the Midwest. I hate hot weather, but even people who thrive on it find themselves a little wilt-y when the temperature hits triple digits.

Here are some tips to get through the heat:

Lots of ice water, iced herbal tea, or not-too-sugary lemonade. Any sort of non-caffeinated, non-sugary, ice cold beverages will make you feel a little cooler and keep you hydrated, which is key on these hot days.

Fill a tub with cool water and stick your feet in...cool feet, cooler you.

Similarly, run your wrists under cold water for a few seconds--the veins run close to the skin there so this will make your whole body feel cooler. 

Put a cold, wet washcloth on your forehead or the back of your neck (kids love this).

Stay in the cooler parts of your house: basement, shady rooms with lots of windows, etc. Our basement feels like it's air-conditioned.

Watch out for kids and pets to make sure they're staying in the shade and drinking plenty of water.

If you have friends with a pool (even a backyard kiddy pool) pay a visit!

Sit in front of a fan and mist yourself with cool water.

What's your favorite way to beat the heat?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM
water water water!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
midnghtsprnkle
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM

ac

tayanddyl
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM
A/c, ice, snoballs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ranjan65
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Air conditioning!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinRox
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Swimming and popsicles are greatest ways to beat the heat. Either that or take a walk on the beach. The wind from the ocean is usually cool. 

MissElissa21
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Room temp water will hydrate faster than ice water will, and if you are already over heated, ice water could make you sick and that would defeat the purpose. Not attacking, just saying ;) Great tips for keeping cool in the hot weather!!! 

daerca574
by Danya on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM

it has been well over 100 degress here for the past couple of days.  yesterday it was 110!  We usually just hang out in the basement or in the pool.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM

It has been very hot here. When I work in the garden, I spray my water hose up in the air so it "rains" on my to cool off. I got overheated & dehydrated yesterday. I had to go inside & cool off while I drank a lot of ice water.  

malexander2009
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Avoid it at all costs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

lake or air conditioning. More often then not air conditioning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)