Smarter Mom: Heat Wave Survival

Posted by   + Show Post

It's going to be 100 degrees tomorrow where I live, and it's not even going to be the hottest place in the country or even the Midwest. I hate hot weather, but even people who thrive on it find themselves a little wilt-y when the temperature hits triple digits.

Here are some tips to get through the heat:

Lots of ice water, iced herbal tea, or not-too-sugary lemonade. Any sort of non-caffeinated, non-sugary, ice cold beverages will make you feel a little cooler and keep you hydrated, which is key on these hot days.

Fill a tub with cool water and stick your feet in...cool feet, cooler you.

Similarly, run your wrists under cold water for a few seconds--the veins run close to the skin there so this will make your whole body feel cooler. 

Put a cold, wet washcloth on your forehead or the back of your neck (kids love this).

Stay in the cooler parts of your house: basement, shady rooms with lots of windows, etc. Our basement feels like it's air-conditioned.

Watch out for kids and pets to make sure they're staying in the shade and drinking plenty of water.

If you have friends with a pool (even a backyard kiddy pool) pay a visit!

Sit in front of a fan and mist yourself with cool water.

What's your favorite way to beat the heat?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I have to keep my neck cool...

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Sit in the air conditioning......it was over 100 here today and with the heat index, it was about 112*

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

We are staying inside a lot more, too. Ela is invited to a pool party Saturday, and it's going to be over 100 degrees. I refuse to go out in a bathing suit in front of all those young moms, so I will be sweltering!

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Do as much as I can in the AM before it gets to hot And in the evening after it cool down. My kids and I are not heat tolerant .

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM

When it's this hot we stay inside with the AC on.

amy7243
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Play in the water or sit in the a/c.

mommyprice09
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM

popsicles

mommyprice09

swimming

mommyprice09
a/c
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Good ideas!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: