Group Home

Smarter Mom: Heat Wave Survival

Posted by   + Show Post

It's going to be 100 degrees tomorrow where I live, and it's not even going to be the hottest place in the country or even the Midwest. I hate hot weather, but even people who thrive on it find themselves a little wilt-y when the temperature hits triple digits.

Here are some tips to get through the heat:

Lots of ice water, iced herbal tea, or not-too-sugary lemonade. Any sort of non-caffeinated, non-sugary, ice cold beverages will make you feel a little cooler and keep you hydrated, which is key on these hot days.

Fill a tub with cool water and stick your feet in...cool feet, cooler you.

Similarly, run your wrists under cold water for a few seconds--the veins run close to the skin there so this will make your whole body feel cooler. 

Put a cold, wet washcloth on your forehead or the back of your neck (kids love this).

Stay in the cooler parts of your house: basement, shady rooms with lots of windows, etc. Our basement feels like it's air-conditioned.

Watch out for kids and pets to make sure they're staying in the shade and drinking plenty of water.

If you have friends with a pool (even a backyard kiddy pool) pay a visit!

Sit in front of a fan and mist yourself with cool water.

What's your favorite way to beat the heat?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
maxswolfsuit
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM

We also go out first thing in the morning and then after dinner. We play inside for most of the day. 

Talliana
by Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM

i filled the kiddie pool and let the kids play. We put up a sun sail so that it is cooler where the pool is and I placed some ice in the water to cool them off. We sat outside eating popsicles and ice cream.  We could not do that everyday once it hits 96 I igo inside. Its been between 95 to 99 since Thursday, at least it is going down to the 70s at night so we can open the windows and get some fresh air. .  

HotMomma2622
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM

please watch out for the older people who live alone and who are in their 60's and above and the disabled. Check in on them at lest three times or twice daily. They are more likey to have problems wih this stinky heat wave. Push water on them. thank u. hugs.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I stay where the AC is lol.

beeonit
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

We had a water balloon fight and hose time in the shade today. Watching 6 children, I couldnt keep them in the house all day!!

jantu
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I love get the water guns and just have fun with the kids!!!!!

annieheart
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM

If you do not have air conditioners,keep your lights off,blinds closed.Put a fan at one sode of the room and another fan on the other side.It helps a lot.Hankies soaked with cold water and put around your head works great.When I worked in a ware house we did it with paper towels.I hope everyone is staying cool.

aubsmom09
by Erin on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

water, ac or swimming.

anagalia011
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Air Conditioning

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80