Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever made crayons?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever remelted down bits of crayons in your oven or however to remake crayons for your kids? My son has a sensory disorder and gets something out of snapping crayons into tiny little pieces. Which is cool and all but now the baby wants to eat them lol. So I was thinking of making them into bigger toddler crayons but not really sure what to use as a mold? Or do you just use a cookie sheet and cut them latter? Do you use wax paper or cooking spray to get them back out? How did you do it?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
Rushn311
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I haven't but seen it on Pinterest.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM

You can buy candy molds and use those to make the crayons in, just make sure the molds are safe for the oven.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Ohh and to answer your question, I have never made homemade crayons.

mereinhart28
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I use a muffin pan. First time I tried it, it pretty much ruined the pan....so now that's my crayon making pan! lol

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I haven't ever done this, but friends of mine have.

lasombrs
by Sara on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I have tons of pill bottles from DS medications!! Thats an awesome idea thanks!!

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

I found this on pinterest the other day and plan on doing this with my girls.  

Rainbow crayons

CATEGORIES: kids

Rainbow crayons are an excellent way to reuse the broken colors, instead of throwing them away, getting a very nice result.

You'll need an empty and clean can, small plastic and empty bottles (for example film rolls or pills bottles) and broken colors.

Put the colors of the same tone in the can and melt them in a bath of boiling water (only takes a minute).

Then, put the wax in the plastic bottles and let cool for 2 minutes (you can accelerate the process stick them in the freezer).

To make the next layer, repeat the same process.

To unmold, use a knife round the edge an it will pop out easily.

lasombrs
by Sara on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Oh awesome!

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I got some pans from the solar store I'm making sun catchers with right now crayons are next

midnghtsprnkle
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM
nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM

some one else said that too. Do you think if you sprayed it first it would have worked better? Or would it ruin it anyway?

Quoting mereinhart28:

I use a muffin pan. First time I tried it, it pretty much ruined the pan....so now that's my crayon making pan! lol

mereinhart28
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM

hmmm never thought of spraying it.....did think after the fact about using cupcake liners, but now that it is ruined it's just easier to keep it for crayons. lol

wonder what spraying it with pam would do........

Quoting lasombrs:

some one else said that too. Do you think if you sprayed it first it would have worked better? Or would it ruin it anyway?

Quoting mereinhart28:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN