Group Home

She was aressted for holding a sign that read "speed trap"!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
Yep you read it right mommas!!! A makeshift sign used to warn drivers of a speed trap landed a Houston woman in jail last week. Natalie Plummer was riding her bicycle home from the grocery store when she noticed several cars beng pulled over for speeding. Hoping to save a few drivers from a potentially pricey ticket, she turned one of her paper bags into a sign that warned of the waiting police ahead. While she was doing so, an officer pulled up and arrested her. "I was completely abiding by the law," she told KRTK. "I was simply warning citizens of a situation ahead." The Houston police, however, were not amused by her tactics and arrested her for, believe it or not, "standing in the street where a sidewalk is present," an offense that not only sounds ridiculous, but that Plummer also denies even doing. "He couldn't take me to jail for holding up this sign or he would have. So all he could do was make up something fake about it," she said. The officer also searched her backpack and threatened to arrest her for obstruction of justice, a much more serious charge, Plummer alleges. She was held in jail for 12 hours until she posted bond and is scheduled to appear in court for her misdemeanor charge in the near furture. What's next???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Replies (21-26):
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

not sure if it's technically illegal but i have seen cars get pulled over for doing such.  amazes me how cops seem more concerend with speed traps, routine traffic stops, etc. than they are with catching actually criminals.

Quoting elasmimi:

I think this is universally done, but I have heard it is illegal.

Quoting Allebas:

WOW!!! Where I live, if someone flashes their headlights at you, it means there's a police officer clocking ppl!! I've helped save a lot of ppl from getting a ticket by doing this! They IMMEDIATELY slow down!!

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM
I have no sympathy for her. It's not her job to stop people from speeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I live in Houston and folks speed (especially through residential neighborhoods) every single day.  There's a speed trap, across the street, from my apartment complex and HPD is only out there during the school semester (there's also a school zone, in front of my apartment complex). 

I'd like to know where this gal was posting, because I was lookiing for the story online, on my local news and I couldn't find it.  It might be there, now.  But, it's not her job to let folks know about speed traps, that's why auto parts and car accessory stores sells radar detectors and besides folks shouldn't be flying down streets...it's not a race track, it's not NASCAR.

If folks get pulled over for speeding it's their fault and deserve a ticket.  There's a reason why certain areas have certain speed limits.  Just being honest.

twinkersmom
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

There's not enough info here. Did the speed limit go down from a high speed to a very low speed in a quick amount of time and not enough road to do so? We have a speed trap where unless you slam on your brakes, you can't get your car down to the limit posted. The way the road is at that point lets the cop take advantage of motorists. No you should not speed and should have your car under control at all times but you have to make a decision if following the law in some circumstances would put others in danger. Also I will say that not having enough space between you and the car behind you, can cause accidents too. You can't predict what others are going to do.

Maybe the place where they are speeding is a very common area that motorist speed through? So it sounds like a light needs to be in place with a camera. That's just my suggestion.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM
same where I am

Quoting Allebas:

WOW!!! Where I live, if someone flashes their headlights at you, it means there's a police officer clocking ppl!! I've helped save a lot of ppl from getting a ticket by doing this! They IMMEDIATELY slow down!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teesoloca
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM

on one hand i see her side of things on the other hand i see the laws side of it.  each coin has 2 sides...LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. proudmommy690
  2. cemcnair
  3. melliburger
  4. ScrChk23
  5. Ladyisis
  6. momofsixangels