Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One of the best things about summer in my neighborhood are the yard sales. They're on every corner, just about every weekend. Yard sales are by far, one of the most baby-friendly summer activities. Even if you're not interested in buying a single thing, between people-watching and all the interesting fare you're sure to have a stimulated baby. Starting a summer tradition with your littlest one while the others are at baseball games, dance recitals and beach parties could be a wonderful bonding experience--"when you were just 10 months old you and mommy went to a yard sale and you loved this silly clown lamp so much I had to buy it..."

A few things to remember when yard saling away--

• Whether you're walking the neighborhood or driving from town to town keep baby sunblocked. The SPF can be easy to forget when you're not planning a sun-centered day.
  • Bring bags for your purchases & small bills--making change of a 50 for a 25 cent item is a no-no.
  • Keep new treasures away from baby until you've got them home. You don't really know what people have in their houses and what kind of reaction your little love could have to them. At the very least inspect them before setting them out. 

*Experts suggest putting anything that's not washable (records, pictures, etc) in a plastic bag and in the freezer for 24 hours first.

If you can't get out on the weekend to yard sales, go driving around Monday morning before the garbage has come. Often whatever doesn't sell is curb fodder = FREE!

Here's to finding you're own hidden treasure and starting your own baby friendly summer tradition.

Remember Baby Skates? Who could pass her up, still in the box, for $2.

Do you have any free, easy, special summer traditions to share?

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
daerca574
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I have some friends like that, and they know what area usually has high end stuff for cheap too. 

Quoting elasmimi:

My stepmom and stepsister used to be on the road every Saturday at 6am. We mapped out our route the night before, so we'd get the best bargains. After about 3 hours, we'd stop for biscuits and gravy at Bojangles. My ss passed away last year, and my 84 y/o sm can't get out anymore, but we had such great times!

starreyedcutie
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM
We actually have a yardale website that i LOVE!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Love yard sales!

KaylaMillar
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM
I love going to yard sales!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Quoting alliesmom112:

Quoting amy7243:

I am a yard sale junkie!!! I love going every friday!

me too. And dh even likes to go too.

I can't let DH go too often.  He ends up buying junk we don't need, lol. 

Kainalu55
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM

i love yard sales! we go every saturday!

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I am on my way to yard sales today!!!

countrygirlkat
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Quoting elasmimi:

I am on my way to yard sales today!!!

I hope you find some good deals!  I looked in the paper today to see if there were any near us but no such luck.  I think people decided to take the holiday weekend off. 

Bmat
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM

A tradition that we have is to take a picnic to the park. We sit under the trees.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I got such a deal today. A beautiful Rothschild dressy coat for 5 y/o for $20! It would be $200 in store, and it's like brand new!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN