Group Home

Smarter Mom: Keep Those Kids Watered!

Posted by   + Show Post

With record heat gripping most of the country, it's important to make sure your kids stay safe in the heat.  One of the biggest worries is dehydration...while healthy kids who eat and drink normally are unlikely to get seriously ill from it, even a little bit of minor dehydration can make these hot days even more unpleasant. Getting enough water helps your body regulate its temperature, and when you're sweating through your days you need to replenish that water more than usual.

Kids ages 4 to 8 need 1.3 liters of water a day...in other words, a little more than five cups. Older kids need a little more than two liters per day. That counts all sources of liquid, though, including from water-rich fruits and vegetables. Aim for a fruit and a veggie at every meal and snack and at least four cups a day and your child should stay well-hydrated.

It should be water they drink, too, not sugary juices, sports drinks, or soda. Naturally sweetened enhanced waters are OK in moderation (like Vitamin Water Zero or Sobe LifeWater). My kids like it if I add a splash of it to their regular water...it makes it taste good enough to go down easy. A squeeze of lemon or lime, or even a slice of cucumber is good too. And my daughter likes to eat ice, which both cools her down and gets water into her.

How do you keep your kids hydrated in the heat?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-36):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM

My kids like popsicle when the weather is hot.  It get fluids in them and cools them down at the same time.

fraujones
by Amanda on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

My oldest loves to drink water. The youngest is still breastfed. 

critter_boo
by Sarah on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Water and fruit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I push my dd to drink lots of water & some gatorade
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wendums1229
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM

mine drink water like its going out of style. I just got luck, hubby on the other hand, I have to get flavored water or those little pouches you add to the water. popcicles are great too!!!!

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
by Colleen on Jul. 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

A lot of water.They like to add the flavored powders.Also popsicles and watermelon.Our a/c doesnt work so its just as hot inside as outside so I stock up on cold things to eat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky