Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Keep Those Kids Watered!

Posted by   + Show Post

With record heat gripping most of the country, it's important to make sure your kids stay safe in the heat.  One of the biggest worries is dehydration...while healthy kids who eat and drink normally are unlikely to get seriously ill from it, even a little bit of minor dehydration can make these hot days even more unpleasant. Getting enough water helps your body regulate its temperature, and when you're sweating through your days you need to replenish that water more than usual.

Kids ages 4 to 8 need 1.3 liters of water a day...in other words, a little more than five cups. Older kids need a little more than two liters per day. That counts all sources of liquid, though, including from water-rich fruits and vegetables. Aim for a fruit and a veggie at every meal and snack and at least four cups a day and your child should stay well-hydrated.

It should be water they drink, too, not sugary juices, sports drinks, or soda. Naturally sweetened enhanced waters are OK in moderation (like Vitamin Water Zero or Sobe LifeWater). My kids like it if I add a splash of it to their regular water...it makes it taste good enough to go down easy. A squeeze of lemon or lime, or even a slice of cucumber is good too. And my daughter likes to eat ice, which both cools her down and gets water into her.

How do you keep your kids hydrated in the heat?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Water,fruit and popcicles...Ice chewing can also be a sign of low iron...

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

it's hard to get mine to drink water while they are outside playing they don't want to stop long enough to do so.  my oldest is really bad about it.  she's made herself sick before by not drinking/eating enough.  they know that if they don't drink now though they don't get to stay outside & play.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Yes it is very important water is their only drink other than morning milk

midnghtsprnkle
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

hmmm hardly home, but one loves water so im sure she drinks it...lol

malexander2009
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

We add a dash of juice to DS's water for taste

DixieL
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

My son works outside in the heat. The store keeps gatorade on hand and they get as much of that they want for free. They also get water

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM

my kids love water and drink a ton of it in the summer.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Got my middle son a new water bottle since he lost his...he loves it so much he is drinking from it all the time, even at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM

We drink lots of water. We also recently started drinking crystal light. Well, my son and I. :)

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I take water with us every where we go and I make them drink it. Luckily they like water, so it's never an issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)