Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Share Your Wall Decorating Ideas For A Kid's Room!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm staring at my abode. Every room, I see something I want to change. I have the decorating shpilkes (that is Yiddish for ant in my pants). I love décor and, even though we rent our apartment, I want to make it as home-y and me as possible. Tough, but it can be done.

One of the rooms that gets lots of redo is Kiddo's room - though I always find myself just re-organizing and attempting to control the ever-exploding number of small plastic things and stuffed cats. Impossible task, no? But lately, I've wanted to do a major décor revamp in there too. In my search, though it won't happen, I've seen a few ideas on what I want to do.

-- Paint a wall with chalkboard paint. Won't it be nice to say, "Hey, Kiddo, go color on the wall!" instead of fearing the graffiti that usually pops up on the white walls after a day stuck inside due to that unbearable heat. The paint can even last her into her tweens - drawing a homework calendar or chore list or anything.

-- Surround her with inspiration. I have a few quotes already around her room, but why not really get some wisdom and encouragement going. All you need is a color printer and frames (okay, yes, and nails). Find your favorite quotes and print them up in jazzy fonts and colors she loves. Grab some basic 8x10 frames from the craft store and arrange them in a cool formation along a whole wall. I'm thinking 12-14 frames here to make a huge statement with wise statements.

-- Highlight her art. We all have overflowing bins of old artwork. Use it instead of storing it away. Hang slim curtain rods along her walls (you can even do two on one wall, one above the other). Use drapery hooks as clips to display her creations. Not only does this look exotic and unique, it reminds her to be proud of her masterpieces. The other cool thing about this - you can change out the work as she makes more at school.

What cool kids' room wall decorating ideas do you have for me? 

©iStockphoto.com/rouzes 

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

WALL STICKERS--they come in borders too and peel off easily and can be moved easily without having to deal with glue with regular wallpaper!

FOAM FLOOR PUZZLES--We used a large foam floor puzzle as the headboard for our daughter's day bed and it stuck easily with regular wallpaper glue!

mereinhart28
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM

our kids' rooms are pretty boring. can't wait to read some of the tips!

Rain2Rinse
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM
We are planning on doing one of the walls in dds play room with chalk paint. I want her to have plenty of outlets for her creativity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nana9106
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I recently bought my GS some wall decals. I found them in the greeting card section. They make really cool decorations without ruining the paint.

powow65
by kimmy on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Check out on www.ehow.com & gl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I would love to do my little one's wall with chalkboard paint!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM
DSs room is super small. When we have another baby (in a few years), we will have to be super creative to get 2 cribs, a glider, & a bookshelf/storage shelf in there!
We are planning on getting a bed that rises off the ground with a play area underneath once our kids are 5 or 6....that way we have some extra space in the room!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Love the chalkboard paint!!!

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Wall static clings.  My sons' have Mario ones on their bedroom wall.  They are easy to put and remove.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

my son would want posters and photos of fire trucks lol..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN