Group Home

Smarter Home: Share Your Wall Decorating Ideas For A Kid's Room!

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm staring at my abode. Every room, I see something I want to change. I have the decorating shpilkes (that is Yiddish for ant in my pants). I love décor and, even though we rent our apartment, I want to make it as home-y and me as possible. Tough, but it can be done.

One of the rooms that gets lots of redo is Kiddo's room - though I always find myself just re-organizing and attempting to control the ever-exploding number of small plastic things and stuffed cats. Impossible task, no? But lately, I've wanted to do a major décor revamp in there too. In my search, though it won't happen, I've seen a few ideas on what I want to do.

-- Paint a wall with chalkboard paint. Won't it be nice to say, "Hey, Kiddo, go color on the wall!" instead of fearing the graffiti that usually pops up on the white walls after a day stuck inside due to that unbearable heat. The paint can even last her into her tweens - drawing a homework calendar or chore list or anything.

-- Surround her with inspiration. I have a few quotes already around her room, but why not really get some wisdom and encouragement going. All you need is a color printer and frames (okay, yes, and nails). Find your favorite quotes and print them up in jazzy fonts and colors she loves. Grab some basic 8x10 frames from the craft store and arrange them in a cool formation along a whole wall. I'm thinking 12-14 frames here to make a huge statement with wise statements.

-- Highlight her art. We all have overflowing bins of old artwork. Use it instead of storing it away. Hang slim curtain rods along her walls (you can even do two on one wall, one above the other). Use drapery hooks as clips to display her creations. Not only does this look exotic and unique, it reminds her to be proud of her masterpieces. The other cool thing about this - you can change out the work as she makes more at school.

What cool kids' room wall decorating ideas do you have for me? 

©iStockphoto.com/rouzes 

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-42):
jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM

wall stickers  are great and they don't peal the paint off when you remove them also DD's door on back side is chalk board paint

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM

We just moved,  so far our kids don't have much on their walls ;( My youngest has a cute mirror with her name about it in big white wooden letters. I'm hoping to get her this adorable monkey decal I saw online, but it's kind of expensive. My oldest has a bunch of silver "mirror" stars all over her walls. They are just foam and covered with a reflective paper, but our friend got them for her and she loves them. I took her name letters painted them with a fine glitter, then glued them onto big pink starts (that I painted) I have yet to hang those up. She also has an "All because two people fell in love" plaque hanging above her bed. My youngest has a "I love you to the moon and back" one, but I still have to hang that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80