Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why does travel have to be so darned expensive??

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM
  • 9 Replies

I've been sitting at the computer nearly all evening so far trying to plan a trip with my boys- trying to keep costs down, and the best I can come up with will cost me over $1100!!! O.O  Ugh- so why the heck does air travel have to be so darned expensive?? If I had more time for travel, I'd rather spend the money on Greyhound since it is roughly half the cost of flying :/

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Fields456
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM
I know it sucks we just went for 3 nights To a dance convention and it cost about $1000 between entry fees hotel parking food and gas.
kjdama
by Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

And the worst part is that I'm having to borrow some money from a few family members in order to make this trip... otherwise I couldn't go. It's a family issue that I have to have taken care of and has to be done before school starts, otherwise I wouldn't even be taking this trip. UGH

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I'm sorry :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM

i assume you've shopped around at all the sites like priceline, travelocity, etc.  i've heard they tend to have better rates if you do searches in the am.

if you know anyone that has a AAA membership you may be able to get discounts through them. 

lately you can often get better deals booking through the airline directly.  also early am & dinner time flights are usually cheaper.

often waiting closer till departure date can get you good rates

since family is helping you maybe see if someone has airline miles they'd be willing to let you use.

flights on tuesday, wednesday & saturday are generally cheaper.

brit0813
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Ugh, i know :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I'd pay more to fly before I'd ever get on a Greyhound again. Yeah it's half the cost of flying and it takes 5x as long. And you're on a bus with a bunch of creepers for the whole thing while stopping in every ghetto known (and unknown) to man. Yeah, PASS.

$1100 doesn't seem that bad for airfare depending on where you're going. Last time I went out to see my parents (in 2006) airfare for me and my 2 kids was $2500. I don't even WANT to know what it would be now.

ETA we did our family vacation to Disney World (5 days, staying on property) for $1500 total. Maybe look into where you're going during the off season? We went in January, so not only was it cheaper, it wasn't hotter than the 9th circle of hell or crowded.

kjdama
by Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Yup.. I did most of that short of the AAA membership thingy. And the flights are Wednesday and Tuesday- both the earliest flight in the am I could find. I went for the cheapest... but I've had experiences with waiting to buy an airline ticket at the last minute and ended up paying more than I saw a couple weeks before... so I don't know about how truthful buying last minute can be cheaper really is...

Quoting lizzig:

i assume you've shopped around at all the sites like priceline, travelocity, etc.  i've heard they tend to have better rates if you do searches in the am.

if you know anyone that has a AAA membership you may be able to get discounts through them. 

lately you can often get better deals booking through the airline directly.  also early am & dinner time flights are usually cheaper.

often waiting closer till departure date can get you good rates

since family is helping you maybe see if someone has airline miles they'd be willing to let you use.

flights on tuesday, wednesday & saturday are generally cheaper.

kjdama
by Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

The cost of the flight portion is going down one way to Mexico, then flying within Mexico to come back- I can only get to Tijuana and to come back the rest of the way I have to take Greyhound under the circumstances...

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I'd pay more to fly before I'd ever get on a Greyhound again. Yeah it's half the cost of flying and it takes 5x as long. And you're on a bus with a bunch of creepers for the whole thing while stopping in every ghetto known (and unknown) to man. Yeah, PASS.

$1100 doesn't seem that bad for airfare depending on where you're going. Last time I went out to see my parents (in 2006) airfare for me and my 2 kids was $2500. I don't even WANT to know what it would be now.

ETA we did our family vacation to Disney World (5 days, staying on property) for $1500 total. Maybe look into where you're going during the off season? We went in January, so not only was it cheaper, it wasn't hotter than the 9th circle of hell or crowded.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

With the rising cost of oil, security etc...the money has to come from somewhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)