govenor says rape isn't important!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
South Carolina Gov Vetoes Abuse And Rape Prevention Funding,

Calls It A Distraction

By Annie-Rose Strasser on Jul 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Late last week, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) vetoed nearly half a million dollars that was slated to go toward domestic violence and sexual assault prevention. Haley defended the veto, according to theCharleston City Paper, saying that rape and sexual assault prevention programs “distract from” the Department of Health’s mission, and that sexual assault victims are “only a small portion” of South Carolinians who need help: Haley explained these vetoes in the Department of Health and Environmental Control budget by writing,

“Each of these lines attempts to serve a portion of our population for which we extend our sympathy and encouragement, but nevertheless, it is only a small portion of South Carolina’s chronically ill or abused. Overall, these special add-on lines distract from the agency’s broader mission of protecting g South Carolina’s public health.”

Sexual assault and domestic violence victims often feel totally alone in the world, so Haley’s consolation that they are only a small portion probably does little good. That’s not to mention the fact that South Carolina ranks seventh in the country for number of women killed by men, and has had a rate of sexual violence higher than the national averagesince 1982.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/07/10/513736/south-carolina-gov-vetoes-abuse-
and-rape-prevention-funding-calls-it-a-distraction/

What do you all think???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
midnghtsprnkle
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:35 AM

wow

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Me too. And I live in this "crappy" state. There are things that need attention YESTERDAY here.

She's not taking away help and programs for this. So really this is "Another democrat trying to make all republicans out to be the bad guy" 

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

I actually agree....let abuse centers get private funding...and put government tax dollars to use where it can benefit the MOST taxpayers...

Ultra_
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she had a poor choice of words. I think maybe she meant that a video to prevent sexual assault, wouldn't be very helpful. Someone who is going to watch some government funded video, isn't someone who would be a rapist. It doesn't do much to help victims of sexual assault. In many cases these types of projects amount to nothing but a waste of money. They pay to have something written, directed, filmed and produced and then it's forgotten about and not used. While helping sexual assault victims is important, first they need to eat, get treated and they're likely still wanting their children to have an education. So that this money would be better spent on something else that goes into one of those categories. 

SlightlyPerfect
Fair warning.
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Yeah. I agree. That's what taxes are for.

But I do think she didn't have to remove all the money from the table. She could have reallocated at least some of it and funneled it into shelters/clinics. It's still part of the health of the state (I know, I used to live there), although it may not be as heavily weighted as the budget implied.

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

I actually agree....let abuse centers get private funding...and put government tax dollars to use where it can benefit the MOST taxpayers...

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
Fair warning.
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Haha. I used to live in Spartanburg. I remember when she was running and was elected.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Me too. And I live in this "crappy" state. There are things that need attention YESTERDAY here.

She's not taking away help and programs for this. So really this is "Another democrat trying to make all republicans out to be the bad guy" 

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

slightlyperfect

jpalmer
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Are you talking about me being the democrat??? Cause honestly i'm middle of the road...i just found this article and thought it to be interesting so i shared...

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jpalmer
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Now this i agree with!!!

Quoting Ultra_:

I think she had a poor choice of words. I think maybe she meant that a video to prevent sexual assault, wouldn't be very helpful. Someone who is going to watch some government funded video, isn't someone who would be a rapist. It doesn't do much to help victims of sexual assault. In many cases these types of projects amount to nothing but a waste of money. They pay to have something written, directed, filmed and produced and then it's forgotten about and not used. While helping sexual assault victims is important, first they need to eat, get treated and they're likely still wanting their children to have an education. So that this money would be better spent on something else that goes into one of those categories. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM

well a rape or domestic violence only inconveniences the victim & perhaps their family.  & it's not like someone is getting raped or abused daily!  so there's no need to waste funding on it!

politicians make me ill!!!!!

amy7243
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Yikes that is horrible!!

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Quoting Uhura:

Yet another republican making the rest of his party look like morons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: