Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

one of my oldest friends

Posted by   + Show Post

had a fire at her home yesterday & lost almost everything.  they don't know yet the extent of damage to the house itself so they dont' know if they'll be able to live there.  thankfully her & her family were out at the time so they are all physically well but understandable emotionally shooken.

i would love to do something for her & her family but i'm all the way in ga & she's in oh.  any ideas of what i could do?  i have a few gift cards for walmart & target that i was saving for when our finances were tight i was thinking of sending those to her.  they're only about $20-$30 each but every bit helps right?  

in addition to this major blow her husband has been out of work for a few months so i know things have been rough for them already.  i may call my sister & niece & have them ask their husbands if they are hiring where they work.  they are both drivers which is what my friends husband has done much of his life.

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Will be thinking of your friend...That's hard...

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I think sending the cards would be an awesome idea. As for seeing if you can help her DH get a job, I know that would make them really happy too. 

amyjane22
by Amy on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Oh no...that's so sad.  I think she'd appreciate the gift cards.  

styler7
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Did they have insurance? It takes time for a pay out but hopefully they did. We had a fire years ago and the Red Cross was amazing help. They gave vouchers for clothing departments, $150 for each family member as well as daily vouchers for restaurants during our long hotel stay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Shawna on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

That's awful!  Anything you can do to help is great.  Maybe someone can organize a fundraiser for them.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Do they have any kids, need kids stuff?  I live in Ohio but, not sure what part they are in.

aubsmom09
by Erin on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM

So sorry to hear about your friend.  I think they would appreciate anything that you would want to help out with.  I am sure there are local Red Cross and organizations to help out too.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

they do have 3 kids but they are older, the oldest is 16-17, the youngest around 11.  oh & they are in cleveland.

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

Do they have any kids, need kids stuff?  I live in Ohio but, not sure what part they are in.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

i haven't spoken to her much but i hope they had insurance.  i do know it can take awhile to get insurance to pay out sometimes though which sucks!

Quoting styler7:

Did they have insurance? It takes time for a pay out but hopefully they did. We had a fire years ago and the Red Cross was amazing help. They gave vouchers for clothing departments, $150 for each family member as well as daily vouchers for restaurants during our long hotel stay.

tifferie
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM
I'm sorry about your friend. My husbands aunt had a fire last year. Luckily the insurance paid for everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN