Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Camp? Or Cabin?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

I grew up in a family that went camping every weekend during the summer. My Mom would pack our camper to the gills with food and snacks and Archie comic books and we would make the two-hour trip to the lake where we would meet up with our family friends and camp out. The adults would go fishing for trout, my sister and I would play with our Barbies in the lake, and when the Dads got back with their fish my sister and I would gut the fish for a quarter apiece.

I don't know what happened, but camping is not something I've enjoyed ever since then. Staying in a canvas tent and freezing at night/baking in the morning, sleeping on the ground, being eaten alive by mosquitoes, existing on not-so-fresh food (hot dogs, etc.) and, well. I cannot comprehend how anyone wold find camping enjoyable.

My husband does find camping enjoyable, and so he does that with his buddies when they go fishing and hunting. As for our family unit, we instead make the trek to the Oregon coast every summer and rent a cabin for a week. We get to get away from our daily routine, but we don't wake up with bad backs and we can eat lots of great food ... and also hot dogs.

Do you camp as a family? Or are you a precious flower like me who prefers to cabin?

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM

i prefer a cabin. i have never "camped" any other way LOL...

starreyedcutie
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM
We camp often as a family :) I don't mind tents at all :) the only time we use cabins is if we are in a area with bears
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by Amy on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM
We love to camp. We go in a tent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM

We camp in a cottage on the river. I'm way too high maintenance to sit in a tent.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I am down for camping - Its been since my early teens, but I would love to go again !

Unforutnately DH hates camping...he would prefer a cabin. LOL !

~M

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Quoting goddess99:

We camp in a cottage on the river. I'm way too high maintenance to sit in a tent.

You sound like DH. Hahaha !

I have never been in a cabin or cottage. Always a Tent for us. :)

CafeMom Tickers
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Thankfully, my dh is just like me. lol

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting goddess99:

You sound like DH. Hahaha !

I have never been in a cabin or cottage. Always a Tent for us. :)

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM

cabin

TheBabyFactory4
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I did a lot growing up with my family. Dh and I went once but we haven't taken the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM
We don't camp, we go to the beach and stay in a beach house Ora condo.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)