Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: Do You Believe Friday the 13 is Unlucky?

Posted by   + Show Post

Black cats, walking under ladders, saying Macbeth in a theater...yup, we're talking superstitions. But one, it seems, freaks folks out more than others: Friday the 13...and would you look at that, today is Friday the 13! Ack! What are we going to do? 

Well, how about we learn some cool Friday the 13th facts to share with your kiddos or out at date night tonight (hey, a girl can dream, eh?). For those of you who suffer from Triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13) or just Paraskevidekatriaphobia (the fear of Friday the 13th), maybe knowing some facts can ease your heebie-jeebie-ness.

-- It is actually impossible to have a year without a Friday that falls on the 13th of a month. So, at least during every 365 days, we will have one Friday with bad ju-ju, if not more than one.

-- According to calendar scholars (yes, they do exist), in any given month, it is more likely that the 13th will fall on a Friday than any other day of the week.

-- Otis Elevator Company (the largest elevator maker) says that 90% of skyscrapers in the U.S. do not have a 13th floor.

-- Next time you are travelling, look for Row 13 on the place or Gate 13 in the airport. Chances are you won't find it.

-- Believers in the unlucky power of the day say to avoid starting anything new, including moving to a new home, getting married, heading off on a trip or doing any sort of needlework (yeah, that seemed odd to me too).

What about you? Do you believe Friday the 13th is an unlucky day? Do you have any superstitions? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Zigulyte

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
wandep
by Pam on Jul. 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Nope, It was hubby's birthday and he surprised us with a beach trip! YAY! We just got home and had a blast.

bizkit_fanky
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Nah, just gives me another reason to watch something scary
tinkerxbell
by Emily on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

no

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Nah, my lucky has been about the same as normal and we are having 3 Friday the 13ths this year.

wendums1229
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Quoting amy7243:

Yes! I do believe that!

me too and did you know that if a month starts with a Sunday then the 13th will fall on a Friday?

spoiler alert:

the next Friday 13th is September 2013,2019,2024

January 2017,2023

Febuary 2015,2026

March 2015,2020,2026

April 2018,2029

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I feel like every day is my lucky day, lol. I've never considered Friday the 13th to be a bad day.
midnghtsprnkle
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM

No

kaitybird
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

It has never bothered me even when I gave birth on Friday the 13 in 1987.  For me it is just another day!

teesoloca
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

as of right now i dont think friday the 13th is unlucky...LOL

i also dont think i have any superstitions...IDK, will think about this one...LOL

teesoloca
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM

...oh i dont pass by a car wreck without making the sign of the cross and saying a prayer.

...will not walk under a ladder

...will not open umbrella inside my home

...will not have a ouija board inside my house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN