Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: Do You Believe Friday the 13 is Unlucky?

Posted by   + Show Post

Black cats, walking under ladders, saying Macbeth in a theater...yup, we're talking superstitions. But one, it seems, freaks folks out more than others: Friday the 13...and would you look at that, today is Friday the 13! Ack! What are we going to do? 

Well, how about we learn some cool Friday the 13th facts to share with your kiddos or out at date night tonight (hey, a girl can dream, eh?). For those of you who suffer from Triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13) or just Paraskevidekatriaphobia (the fear of Friday the 13th), maybe knowing some facts can ease your heebie-jeebie-ness.

-- It is actually impossible to have a year without a Friday that falls on the 13th of a month. So, at least during every 365 days, we will have one Friday with bad ju-ju, if not more than one.

-- According to calendar scholars (yes, they do exist), in any given month, it is more likely that the 13th will fall on a Friday than any other day of the week.

-- Otis Elevator Company (the largest elevator maker) says that 90% of skyscrapers in the U.S. do not have a 13th floor.

-- Next time you are travelling, look for Row 13 on the place or Gate 13 in the airport. Chances are you won't find it.

-- Believers in the unlucky power of the day say to avoid starting anything new, including moving to a new home, getting married, heading off on a trip or doing any sort of needlework (yeah, that seemed odd to me too).

What about you? Do you believe Friday the 13th is an unlucky day? Do you have any superstitions? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Zigulyte

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I am not the least superstitious, despite my Irish roots.

tayanddyl
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Its just another day here. Altough I had to go to the dentist this morning and it rained so hard when I got off work that my son and I both got wet ... AND he left the windows down on the car :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shadowboxer25
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

No I Don't think Friday the 13Th is unlucky. For one reason my son Mark was born on Friday the 13Th 28 years ago, and That was a gift from GOD. I also have a black persian.His name is Shadow and he 20 yrs old. And I've had him since he was 6 weeks old.

Colleen L.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

No .. not bad luck here .. i love friday the 13th !!

Brandizzlesmom
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I used to think it was unlucky bit i got married 11/13/98 and still happily married lol also just had anotin loveher baby and im 46.

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM
No, I don't think it's unlucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM
it was at crazy day but I attribute that to stupid people not the date
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Not really

lashes1793
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

friday the 13th being unlucky...

I don't believe in that. it's fun listing to all the things that happen to people on that day though:}

Karissa_ruiz
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN