Smarter Home: How Do You Keep Things From Blowing Away?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Did anyone have a BBQ or outdoor gathering this past weekend? Are you planning one in the weeks ahead, since the weather is gorgeous and Mr. Sun stays out longer? Well, today's Ask Heather question is a must-read for anyone doing some outdoor entertaining!

Mapsipee909 asks: "We love to throw parties in the backyard, everything from BBQs to sit-down dinners, but where we live, it is kind of windy. Do you have any cool ideas to keep thing from blowing away?"

Dining al fresco! Is there nothing better than sipping some vino and sitting outside with loved ones? Well if George Clooney was there, yes, perfection...but that can all go kaput faster than you can say garden gnome (and I can say that pretty fast) if the elements start affecting your ability to munch on those hot dogs. A storm can literally rain on your picnic parade, but you don't want to have everyone head inside just if it's a little breezy.

How to keep napkins, plates and the like from blowing about during your star-lit soiree? Sure, you can just plonk the tub of ketchup onto the pile of napkins, but there are some super-cute alternatives.

-- Rock garden. Get your kids into the mix and have them paint and decorate some hefty rocks (wash them first). Place them in the center, and folks can grab them as needed to keep tablecloth corners at bay.

-- If you have a lovely tablecloth you use, grab that sewing kit and attach some little weights at each end. Easy and rather hidden, no one will know they are even there. If you do want some pizzazz, weight the corners with little bells - your own built-in wind chime.

-- Gather up empty wine bottles and wash them, remove the labels and fill with sand. Line them along the table as a perfect weigh to keep things grounded. Very chic, very cool. You can use large temple bells or even old coffee canisters for a vintage look.

-- Make your own felt weights. This is such a cool craft idea, and there are plenty of patterns out there. You just need felt, weights or sand in a pouch, stuffing and some basic sewing skills - check out the turtle, the whale and the owl. I know, amazing, right? You can even make these as gifts for teachers or friends who you know entertain outside.

Do you have BBQs or outdoor parties? How do you stop stuff from blowing off of the tables? What is your best hint for outdoor entertaining?

ÂŠiStockphoto.com/ rjmiz

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM

We really only bbq outside .. and then eat indoors .. =(  So I dont have any great ideas =(

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:03 AM

great ideas!  

mereinhart28
by Michelle on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:35 AM

We have outdoor bbq's a lot. never really had to deal with stuff blowing away.

Great tips though!

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:40 AM

I don't have any thing that will blow away.

powow65
by kimmy on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:21 AM
We bring what we need out-side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
midnghtsprnkle
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:28 AM

dont keep anything outside that can blow away.

wandep
by Pam on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM

We always eat inside or out on the screen porch when we have cookouts. :) To hot and sticky here in Florida to eat outside. LOL

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM

We usually just sit our drinks on napkins and plates.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM

We always eat indoors because of things blowing away or flies or bees.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM

since i live in an apartment i don't do outdoor entertaining so no words of wisdom from me.

thanks for the tips though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: