Group Home

Smarter Health: Boost Your Brainpower!

Posted by   + Show Post

Fuzzy. An oft-used adjective referring to your hubby's non-shaven cheek, an Angora sweater or that famous bear with no hair of rhyming lore. But fuzzy can sometimes be used to described how your brain is feeling - especially after late-night feedings or the five a.m. wakeup call to bake cupcakes for the band fundraiser...or week after week of constant work/mommy/wife/life clutter in that mental space.

What's a mom to do? Boost that brainpower by doing any or all of the ideas below. You'll thank me later (and actually remember to do so!).

Sleep - A-number-one way to clear the cobwebs is to give the brain time to rest, to chill, to recharge. Rev that brain engine with sleep. I know, I know, easier said than done, but getting a consistent good night's sleep or taking catnaps through the day is vital for brain function.

Exercise - Study after study shows that when you exercise something happens in our bodies to get brain cells and neurons working again. Even 15 minutes a day of walking or jumping rope or doing some speed yoga moves can help.

Feed your tummy with brain food - Shovel those Omega-3s onto the plate, folks. Fish (think salmon, trout, tuna, halibut), soybeans, walnuts, flaxseed oil all have the essential fatty acid needed to catapult the cranium into a new level of function.

Feed you brain with fun - Do some puzzles, word games, Sudoku. Play Angry Birds or Words With Friends. Read a book. All of it will give your brain some energy juice.

How do you keep that mind sharp? Do you love puzzles? How about fish?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ AarStudio

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
jerzeetomato
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Not so crazy about fish - love puzzles!  I get my omega-3s in nuts and flaxseed and tuna (my  one fish "love").  I do find that when I take a morning walk - my mind is much more focused for the rest of the day!

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM
I do all of those things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Shawna on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I read, sleep, and exercise =)

sweetpea1269
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM
I could use some sleep, I'm definitely fuzzy headed lately from lack of sleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malexander2009
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I have yet to find something that works I have 3 little ones under 2.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Great info

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Good article!  I try to keep sharp by reading and doing puzzles.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I play so much words with friends, my brain must be very energized! Bridge is also good for keeping your brain sharp!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80