Smarter Style: Accessorizing Magic

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you know one of those women who just sort of always look great and you can't put your finger on why? She's probably skillful at accessorizing. It's the great underused style skill.

Personally, I am terrible at accessorizing; I have a terror of looking like I am trying too hard, which means, of course, that I rarely look like I tried at all. I need to get over that...a great bracelet will cost a lot less than a great dress or pair of shoes, and I can wear it every single day and call it my "signature piece" if I want. Plus, you can play with looks with accessories a lot more easily than you can with clothing. Take a black T-shirt and jeans and you can be a hippie one day with woven bracelets and a hemp purse, a rock star the next with a leather cuff and chains, or a glamorous urbanite with heels and diamond studs (fake, if you prefer) another day.

I'm lucky...my mom makes jewelry and she'll use me as a guinea pig a lot when she's trying out a new technique. That means I have lots of pretty things hanging around. And my kids are past the age when anything I wear ends up in their hands and more than likely being destroyed. Style resolution: I'm going to add at least one accessory whenever I'm leaving the house. Who's with me!?

Are you good at accessorizing or do you struggle?

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-32):
AmyKuras
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Ive found plus-size stores like Avenue have really cute accessories like bracelets and rings, sized for bigger people.

teesoloca
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM

i accessorize...but ONLY when i go out, not on an everyday basis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: