Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATED WITH VIDEO: What are the must-haves on your BTS shopping list this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

We gave moms a $50 Kmart gift card and a video camera. Each of the influencer moms went to Kmart.com or their local Kmart store in search of their children's back-to-school apparel, supplies and groceries.

From clothing, shoes, backpacks, and stationary items, the below video highlights some of the things our moms bought for their kids. Check it out!

Then, tell us what's on your child's back-to-school list this year!

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Replies (101-110):
JerseyGirl511
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Don't have a list right now, but will when dd starts college in January.

sweetmommy811
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Most of the Kmarts in our area are closed down so the closest one was a hour away. When we got there the school supply area was a disaster and it was very hard to find all the items that we needed. I had all 3 kiddos with me and a ton of items to buy. My oldest is in 5th grade could not find a bookbag or lunch box that she really liked so that was a pain. Not much of a selection and most everything was picked over. Althought it was tax free weekend so I kind of expected it to be a little messy but in the entire 5 hours that we shopped I never saw a single employee straightening up the area. The clothes section was in pretty good shape and the shoe section was not to bad either. The kids did pick out a few cute outfits and a pair of shoes a piece. They found some binders that were scented and some 3d folders that they got excited about. After about 3 hours of shopping I realized that they had a whole other isle of supplies that were in a totally different spot. We finally ened up finding everything on the lists except 5 items. We alsoo had to get a sd jumpstart for my oldest off her list. The employee in the electronics was very helpful and helped me find it quickly, she also signed me up for the rewards program. Which I was unaware of. All in all we did find some good deals and the majority of the items on the school supply lists. I would not drive an hour to shop at that particular store but if I'm in the area I would shop there again! I also brought my camera with us but couldn't get it to work properly so I do not have any pics to show off.

chinosruca
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM
My local Kmart SUCKED ass for back to school supplies. It was unorganized. Half the stuff had no prices on it. It was split into several locations in the store with no real signage as to where to go. The associates were unhelpful. My money went to Walmart and office depot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM

We are pretty much done shopping, but I would like to get her a cute lunchbox for her snack. She has new shoes, but I think I may get her a pair of sneakers as well.

amyjane22
by Amy on Aug. 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM

We homeschool and this is our first year of having an actual classroom at home (DS is starting Kindergarten and I've just done preschool with him before), so I had to get a bulletin board, marker board, dry erase markers, folders, a binder to keep records, notebooks, pencils, glue sticks, elmer's glue, markers, crayons, pencil pouch, backpack.  DS asked, "Mom, I know I'm homeschooled, but when I see kids go to school on tv, they always have a backpack.  Can I get a backpack?".  So, I bought him a backpack with a new outfit inside to give him as a surprise the night before we start homeschooling.

Samanthamommy
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

definately came in handy as my son starts school in 2 weeks.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM

First off, thanks Kmart and Cafemom for this! It came at a much needed time!

I got my giftcard today and went straight out with my girls! My oldest needed the most stuff since she's going to kindergarten. While we got everything on our list, it was just barely! I haven't been to a Kmart in a long time and I was shocked at how expensive things were! I'm really glad my DD didn't need things like markers and crayons because they were about triple the price as other stores in our area :/

I was pretty disappointed in the selection of things like backpacks and lunchboxes. There were lots of them, but the patterns were pretty forgettable. Thankfully my DD found the monkey one pictured...which was hard to find because the school stuff was grouped randomly in different parts of the store. I was, however, super stoked to find the lunch containers with the freezer inserts! Those were decently priced and should work great for her lunches :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tayanddyl
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM

The kids and I made two trips to K-Mart to complete this influencer. On our 1st trip, I didn't read the instructions for the Kodak camera/camcorder and didn't put the memory card in. Each time I tried to record it would stop after 8 seconds.  DUH!!!!!  Anyway, I managed to get some shopping done.  I picked up 3 pair of khaki pants for my son (he's 14, in the 8th grade and has to wear khakis for his school uniform) the pants were on sale for $13.99 each, socks and underwear for the girls and tee shirts for all 3 of them.  And a backpack for my daughter (9 yr old in 4th grade)

I chose to shop at the K-Mart farthest away from my home because I hardly go to that one.  I must say I was impressed.  Although the store was crowded with back to school shoppers, the check out lines moved pretty quick. 

I shop at K-Mart often so I expected to see the selection that was available, I didn't expect the great prices. 

duejan13th
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Wow did u have to apply for the card?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Love the video! So cool. My kids love seeing themselves!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN