Group Home

Smarter Mom: Time Management

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

This summer has been busy as can be...not so much for my kids (although it is) but for me. Work projects, family obligations, regular household stuff, house and yard projects....it feels like I will never catch up on anything, ever.

Clearly, my time management skills need work. About the only thing I truly subscribe to is "worst first"...getting the most heinous task out of the way first so I don't procrastinate on it; I am also queen of the to-do list. I'm watching the ebbs and flows of my energy during the day and planning tasks accordingly: I'm not focused in the morning but have a lot of "go", so that's a good time to get little tasks like sending invoices, throwing in a load of laundry, and the like out of the way. Running errands is good for when the afternoon zone-out hits, and so on. But of course, I tend to procrastinate and that leads to things like me staying up until 1:30 am to hit a deadline, and then my daughter peering at my face today and announcing I have HUGE bags under my eyes.

So, I'm asking you nice ladies: What time management tips work for you? Do you use an electronic system like Google Calendar or iCal, or a paper planner? How do you keep yourself off CafeMom and Facebook? What time management wisdom do you have to share, and how do you use the time you save?

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know...

For appts and things I put it in my iPhone, so I don't double book myself. I always have Cuatro with me so my calendar is always available.

I don't write to-do lists. If you do things as they need doing, it takes 1/10th the time. Everyone is finished with lunch, do the dishes right then. Rinse them off, load them in the dishwasher (or wash them whatever you case may be). If you wait for a full sink, not only will it take longer, but stuff could be all crusted on there and that's gross, PLUS it's just asking (begging really) for a bug problem. 

See something on the floor? Pick it up. Fold laundry right out of the dryer, load by load. Why would anyone let 18 loads build up and over take their house? 1 load at a time = 5 minutes. 18 loads = HOURS of Laundry.

Vacuuming my whole house takes 5 minutes, do it everyday, it's not going to get nasty and require a huge hour long vacuuming extravaganza.

I have MORE than enough time in the day and through people watching over the years, I've determined people just take too long doing things that don't take long.

Give your house one good deep clean, and then spot clean things as they come up, it's 15-20 minutes TOTAL out of your whole day, you'll never have to deep clean again.  People always comment on how clean my house is. That's what I do. I deep clean my house maybe 2x a year (when I change out clothes) all the rest of the year, it's spot cleaning.

The only thing I make a list for is the grocery store. I plan out all the dinners we will have for 2 weeks, and plan what lunches and breakfast will be, make that last and go.

Don't procrastinate about anything, EVER. and yes I do internally struggle with this. But just don't do it. If something needs to be sent, send it now. If something needs to be done ,do it now. I need this by next week, nope you're getting it tomorrow. Do it right away because if you don't you might have something else land in your lap and then you're screwed. What happens if you decide to wait until deadline for that report and then your kids all get sick? Sucks to be you! Should have done it that first day now huh?

If something is going to be pushed to the back burner it needs to be stupid things, like playing Castleville. Allocate responsibilities, have your kids fold and put away their own laundry, have them empty the bathroom trash, pick up their own toys, make their beds. Straighten the shoes by the front door, gather the dirty clothes, etc. All extremely simple. Stuff my kids have been doing for years. Teaches them responsibility, helps you out. Winning!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM
I have so little time outside of work and commuting I really have to plan when to get things done so I can spend the most time with my son as possible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nana9106
by Darlene on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I am in the same boat as you...eye bags and all! I am anxious to read some of the responses to this post. I need to learn a thing or 2 about time management

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

no wisdom from me though.  will be checking back to check out the wisdom of others though.

fraujones
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I have a heavily penned day planner, but I need to improve in this area. 

LuvMyBrennaBean
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I am definitely going to try to keep this all in mind. Thank you for your tips!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I don't know...

For appts and things I put it in my iPhone, so I don't double book myself. I always have Cuatro with me so my calendar is always available.

I don't write to-do lists. If you do things as they need doing, it takes 1/10th the time. Everyone is finished with lunch, do the dishes right then. Rinse them off, load them in the dishwasher (or wash them whatever you case may be). If you wait for a full sink, not only will it take longer, but stuff could be all crusted on there and that's gross, PLUS it's just asking (begging really) for a bug problem. 

See something on the floor? Pick it up. Fold laundry right out of the dryer, load by load. Why would anyone let 18 loads build up and over take their house? 1 load at a time = 5 minutes. 18 loads = HOURS of Laundry.

Vacuuming my whole house takes 5 minutes, do it everyday, it's not going to get nasty and require a huge hour long vacuuming extravaganza.

I have MORE than enough time in the day and through people watching over the years, I've determined people just take too long doing things that don't take long.

Give your house one good deep clean, and then spot clean things as they come up, it's 15-20 minutes TOTAL out of your whole day, you'll never have to deep clean again.  People always comment on how clean my house is. That's what I do. I deep clean my house maybe 2x a year (when I change out clothes) all the rest of the year, it's spot cleaning.

The only thing I make a list for is the grocery store. I plan out all the dinners we will have for 2 weeks, and plan what lunches and breakfast will be, make that last and go.

Don't procrastinate about anything, EVER. and yes I do internally struggle with this. But just don't do it. If something needs to be sent, send it now. If something needs to be done ,do it now. I need this by next week, nope you're getting it tomorrow. Do it right away because if you don't you might have something else land in your lap and then you're screwed. What happens if you decide to wait until deadline for that report and then your kids all get sick? Sucks to be you! Should have done it that first day now huh?

If something is going to be pushed to the back burner it needs to be stupid things, like playing Castleville. Allocate responsibilities, have your kids fold and put away their own laundry, have them empty the bathroom trash, pick up their own toys, make their beds. Straighten the shoes by the front door, gather the dirty clothes, etc. All extremely simple. Stuff my kids have been doing for years. Teaches them responsibility, helps you out. Winning!

powow65
by kimmy on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Try to write down a mini schedule
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I have Cozi, BUT...I have to remember to put my to-do's in it! I tend to do the most important things first and then I procrastinate a lot. I need to stop that.

I do have my laundry set up to do every week, different days for different family members, towels, etc.

I need some more tips too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I suck at time management.  I work full time, my kids are very active which takes up a lot of MY time, plus I take care of my elderly mother.  I always feel like I'm trying to do a million things at once when it comes to keeping up with the house and the bills in the free time that I do  have.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I am not great at time management, but I just try to get everything done as early in the day as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys