Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: How Do I Look Better in Pictures?

Posted by   + Show Post

Say "cheese!" to Ask Heather, where we tackle that important question we all wonder at some point...especially when family vacations are going on.

SupermamaBBN asks: We are heading into the season of vacations and weddings and family reunions. I know people will be taking lots of photos...and I hate how I look in pictures. Either I look startled or my smile is too big or I just look odd. Do you have any hints on how to take a decent picture?

Oh, SpermamaBBN, you are me. I am you. I hate taking pictures for the mere reason I don't want to see how I look in them. Anyone who has been on Facebook lately knows it is summer is prime time for vacation photos...and winter is holiday photo time and, well, it is just seems like there is always a photo op or a relative with a camera phone lurking somewhere.

Though nothing will save us from a bad hair day captured forever on film, there are some hints from pros -- photographers that take photos and models that often pose for them. Here's what they say to make yourself look the best you can in pictures:

-- Lean your forehead toward the camera but don't tilt it down or up. It sounds kind of tough to do, but apparently, it makes your neck look long and lean.

-- Focus your eyes above the camera and squint ever-so-slightly, just barely, just a wee bit. Not to look like you ate something bad or stubbed your toe, but more like you are wise and just about to let loose an awesome comeback line. Another trick is to close your eyes and open them slowly right before the picture is taken.

-- Don't close your mouth, but don't have it wide open either. Having a bit of space between your lips is optimal.

--  Put your tongue behind your teeth as you smile - this is supposed to relax your face muscles.

-- Learn the typical celeb pose: have your body three-quarters turned toward the camera, with one foot in front of the other. It will slim you.

-- Think about a happy time or a happy song. What you are thinking about actually translates on camera, so if you are thinking "Ayeyaya, I hate photos!" you aren't going to look as good as if you are remembering that time Uncle Morrie juggled hushpuppies at your rehearsal dinner.

Do you know which is your "good side"? Share your hints on how to take a good photo!

ŠiStockphoto.com/4774344sean 

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
nana9106
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I would know exactly ... nothing, about taking a good photo. There are 0 good photos of me :-/

I will try these tips next time I am forced to be in front of the camera :-)

Mommee42boyz
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Shoulders back, chest out and wear silver jewelry and redder lipstick to make teeth look whiter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Interesting. I never uch thought about that.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM
I have no idea about my good side! I don't like my teeth and try not to show them much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
Happy Thanksgiving !!
Yesterday at 10:33 AM
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I look better in person ..lol im not photogenic !

mereinhart28
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

ugh. I hate having my picture taken. that's probably why I am always the one taking the pictures! lol

no tips here!

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I hate how I look in pics.

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM

This is a great article. I love it! I need all the help I can get I am not good at getting my picture taken:-) 

Karissa_ruiz
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM
I usually just smile big :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Did  not know the tongue trick

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN