Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The Best Pet Names

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 95 Replies

A good friend of mine just adopted a brand new pup. Before she and her boys brought the little guy home, they spent weeks thinking of the name for their new addition. Now, as I'm allergic to both cat and dogs and Kiddo is allergic to cats, we haven't had the pleasure of picking a name for a furry creature. We have named some finned creatures: Fredo, Bubbles, Princess FishyFish, and currently Finners, all of whom have taken a lovely swim in a bowl in our abode.

Similar to when you hear of a friend who is pregnant, when you hear someone is getting a new pet, you start thinking of names for them. Making lists, emailing them what you think are fantastic choices, perhaps annoying them with your ideas.

And just like names for babies, some pet names are more popular than others. In 2011, the most popular names for dogs and cats were strikingly like "people" names. For cats, Bella, Lucy, Chloe, and (of course) Kitty all made the top 10 list for feminine felines, while Max, Tiger, Charlie, Oliver, and Smokey were top picks for male cats. Popular choices for girl pups were Bella (thank you Twilight), Daisy, Lucy, Molly, and Lola, while the male pooches were named Max, Buddy, Charlie, Bear, and Rocky. So weird that Max was top for both cats and dogs, huh?

(Not to leave our aquatic friends out there, top fish choices were Jaws, Goldie, Nemo, Elvis, Finley, and Dory...yup, movies influenced the naming process here too.) 

So, what did my friend name her dog? I gave her great options like Zoom, Harry, Moose, Zip, Houndsley, Burt, Seymour, Percy, Mac, Doc, Jazz, Rufus and Spike. They had planned on naming it Darcy (she's an English professor), but the sweet little guy was just not a Darcy. Big paws, big guy, he needed a big name. They decided on a perfect one: Tank.

What are your pets' names? What were the names of your pets growning up? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/GlobalP

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The pets I had growing up were

Butterscotch- cat

Ruebarb-cat

Pretty eyes-Cat 

Beauty-Cat

Patches 1-cat

Patches 2 -cat

Kallie-cat

Abigail-cat

Dianna-cat

Dusty-cat

Winnie-cat

Kiddie-cat

Wookie-dog

Shelly-dog

Bodger-dog

Zippy-dog

Daisy-dog

April-cat

Blade-cat

Nick-dog

Madeline-cat

Indy-cat

Mousey-cat

Reagan-dog

The pets we have now

Beau-dog

T.C- dog

Bunny- dog 

Mystery-cat

Penelope-cat

Izzy-cat

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM
We only have 1 pet currently, a cat named LuLu. Other pet names we had since dh and I got married were: Bailey (dog), skyler, Peaches, Quigly (birds), Harley (sugar glider), Mr. piggens (pot belly pig) and Kirby (cat)
Pets I had as a child: muffin and misty (dogs), Cody ( cat)! Toby ( dwarf rabbit),Carmel ( hamster)
1_hawt_mami
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM
3 moms liked this

This is sassy! We just rescued her today :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mereinhart28
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Growing up I had a dog-Buster, another dog Sam, a cat-Frisky and another cat-Pouncer.

Right now we have a black lab, her name is Molly.

daerca574
by Danya on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

we have Felix. . ..  .the dog. . haha

daerca574
by Danya on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

and we currently have a turtle named Germy!

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Growing up...
A cat~ Ashanta
A male dog~ Boy
A female dog~ vixen

Now two male cats~ Tofu and Exodus
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I have Diesel and Roxie now (dogs).

I've had Snoopy, King, Bear, Hank, Midas, Bruiser, Sandy, Squirt (all dogs), George and Miss Piggy (Guinea Pigs), and Tipsy, SpongeBob, Patrick, Bloat, and Bubbles (Painted Turtles/Red Ear Sliders), and Diamond (cat, how we found out I was BAD allergic).

BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Our cat's name is Chip. I had a dog named Trixie growing up

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:35 AM

We have had a ton of pets thru the years. Currently we have a fish named Fudge & two dogs, Rusty & Pepper. My cat lives with my parents because dh is highly allergic. She's Sasha.  All other pets were cat: Chin-Chin, Chezwick, Rupert, Wolf, Sugar, Smokey, Kelly, Butch, Bruno, Brutus, Spot, Mickey. My next cat (who knows when we'll get one) will be Captain Sassafrass 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN