Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The Best Pet Names

Posted by   + Show Post

A good friend of mine just adopted a brand new pup. Before she and her boys brought the little guy home, they spent weeks thinking of the name for their new addition. Now, as I'm allergic to both cat and dogs and Kiddo is allergic to cats, we haven't had the pleasure of picking a name for a furry creature. We have named some finned creatures: Fredo, Bubbles, Princess FishyFish, and currently Finners, all of whom have taken a lovely swim in a bowl in our abode.

Similar to when you hear of a friend who is pregnant, when you hear someone is getting a new pet, you start thinking of names for them. Making lists, emailing them what you think are fantastic choices, perhaps annoying them with your ideas.

And just like names for babies, some pet names are more popular than others. In 2011, the most popular names for dogs and cats were strikingly like "people" names. For cats, Bella, Lucy, Chloe, and (of course) Kitty all made the top 10 list for feminine felines, while Max, Tiger, Charlie, Oliver, and Smokey were top picks for male cats. Popular choices for girl pups were Bella (thank you Twilight), Daisy, Lucy, Molly, and Lola, while the male pooches were named Max, Buddy, Charlie, Bear, and Rocky. So weird that Max was top for both cats and dogs, huh?

(Not to leave our aquatic friends out there, top fish choices were Jaws, Goldie, Nemo, Elvis, Finley, and Dory...yup, movies influenced the naming process here too.) 

So, what did my friend name her dog? I gave her great options like Zoom, Harry, Moose, Zip, Houndsley, Burt, Seymour, Percy, Mac, Doc, Jazz, Rufus and Spike. They had planned on naming it Darcy (she's an English professor), but the sweet little guy was just not a Darcy. Big paws, big guy, he needed a big name. They decided on a perfect one: Tank.

What are your pets' names? What were the names of your pets growning up? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/GlobalP

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-70):
meagansmommy07
by Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM
I have a beagle named Missy, a German shepherd puppy named Wally, a cat named Katie, two turtles named Mason and Montana and a fish named Crunchy.....we had another beagle named Fred a.d.another cat named Oscar but both died earlier this year( before we got the German shepherd puppy)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Our dog is named Guinness. We had a cat named Napoleon, but he passed away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Sue on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

LOL My youngest dd was offended when I told her that Lucy was a popular name for a cat. She said you must be wrong. ;-P

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

malexander2009
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Lets see I've had dogs named lil bit, tramp, balto, boris, slugger, and jeremiah. And cats named taffy, courious, norton, and figaro
kgmmw
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Our chiquaquas name is pepito
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetpea1269
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM
My dogs are Nuka and Mojo
krisrand2001
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

as a kid I only had dogs (alergic to cats) pete, fonzi, rocky, roni, and pepsi my kids have had pepper a guinea pig, we now have 3 dogs dakota, sweetpea, and hermione. and 2 outdoor cats princess, and two socks.

soontobemommie3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

This is Meki. He's a tamaskan 50%, wolf 30%, shepherd 20%. He's a bit bigger now. This was about 3 weeks ago.

We also have a black and white male cat named jingles and a gray stripped cat named Zander.

We had a boxer named Jada she passed in 2009 rip and a great dane names holly she passed in 2010 rip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shoot4thestars
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Growing up I had a Midnight, Lucky and Mickey.  Midnight, because he was a pitch black lab.  Lucky, because she was a stray and my aunt took her in, and because she lived in apartments couldn't keep her, so she lived with us for the next 16 years of her life...lol  And Mickey, that name actually fit him because of his big black ears.

Now I have an Abby.  I named her Abby because when I got her she was less than a pound and was the sweetest little thing and Abby was the first thing that popped my head.  And I also have a Sonja.  My husband picked that name.  He wanted something different, and after the fact of telling people her name, I realized that that is a really odd name for a dog.  But now I couldn't picture her with any other name..lol

We've also had a dozen fish, frogs and I can't remember whatever else, let alone their names.  If my husband was here, he would know all of them...lol

lasombrs
by Sara on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Our dog is Baalat and our cat is spike

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN