Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The Best Pet Names

Posted by   + Show Post

A good friend of mine just adopted a brand new pup. Before she and her boys brought the little guy home, they spent weeks thinking of the name for their new addition. Now, as I'm allergic to both cat and dogs and Kiddo is allergic to cats, we haven't had the pleasure of picking a name for a furry creature. We have named some finned creatures: Fredo, Bubbles, Princess FishyFish, and currently Finners, all of whom have taken a lovely swim in a bowl in our abode.

Similar to when you hear of a friend who is pregnant, when you hear someone is getting a new pet, you start thinking of names for them. Making lists, emailing them what you think are fantastic choices, perhaps annoying them with your ideas.

And just like names for babies, some pet names are more popular than others. In 2011, the most popular names for dogs and cats were strikingly like "people" names. For cats, Bella, Lucy, Chloe, and (of course) Kitty all made the top 10 list for feminine felines, while Max, Tiger, Charlie, Oliver, and Smokey were top picks for male cats. Popular choices for girl pups were Bella (thank you Twilight), Daisy, Lucy, Molly, and Lola, while the male pooches were named Max, Buddy, Charlie, Bear, and Rocky. So weird that Max was top for both cats and dogs, huh?

(Not to leave our aquatic friends out there, top fish choices were Jaws, Goldie, Nemo, Elvis, Finley, and Dory...yup, movies influenced the naming process here too.) 

So, what did my friend name her dog? I gave her great options like Zoom, Harry, Moose, Zip, Houndsley, Burt, Seymour, Percy, Mac, Doc, Jazz, Rufus and Spike. They had planned on naming it Darcy (she's an English professor), but the sweet little guy was just not a Darcy. Big paws, big guy, he needed a big name. They decided on a perfect one: Tank.

What are your pets' names? What were the names of your pets growning up? 

©iStockphoto.com/GlobalP

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (71-80):
Racer15
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM
I currently have two dogs, a beagle mix named Molly, and a Chow mix named Sasha. Our four cats are Jinx, Tardcake (both male) and Pickles and Togepi (both female).
LifeCafe42
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM
My dogs are jack and rocco the cat is ditto
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

We have 3 cats named Eddie,Lucky and Boots.Our hermit crab is little one,our hamster Spazz and our bearded dragon is Franky.Growing up we always had dogs.I remember there was Lucy and Corky.My grandparents had a dog names zippy.He was a poodle and mean as can be

TBKSuperMama
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM

we have aJack Russell terrier named Molly Kate. 

jewleedotcom
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Our kitties are:

Tobey Longfellow

Grim (or Grim Cat)

Captain Clawhugs

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM

My dog growing up was Spike and my our dog now is named King

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I don't have any pets currently, but I think that pets should have pet names.

My MIL gave her animals full names "Jennifer Marie" for example. I think that's weird...and I hate it when an animal has a people name that I really like. My grandma's dog is "Sophie" so now Sophie is a dog name to me. Lily (another name I loved for people) is a cat name. Same for Jennifer and Marie, thanks to my MIL. Lacey is a dog name, it's my cousin's dog. Maggie too.

Cats and dogs should be Muffin, Mittens, Fluffy, Biscuit, etc. Or people names that NO ONE uses anymore like Earl, Norman, and Willie.

besosfantasies
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

We have a cat named Angie and a dog named Belles. When we adopted our dog her name was Bella.. seems to be a phase this generation is going through.. lol.

Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

growing up i had to many pets lol im the one who took in everyone

Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM

fluffy-cat

kandi-dog

princesa-dog

honey bee-dog

columbo-cat

felix-cat

paris-dog

many fish lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN