Group Home

Smarter Home: The Best Pet Names

Posted by   + Show Post

A good friend of mine just adopted a brand new pup. Before she and her boys brought the little guy home, they spent weeks thinking of the name for their new addition. Now, as I'm allergic to both cat and dogs and Kiddo is allergic to cats, we haven't had the pleasure of picking a name for a furry creature. We have named some finned creatures: Fredo, Bubbles, Princess FishyFish, and currently Finners, all of whom have taken a lovely swim in a bowl in our abode.

Similar to when you hear of a friend who is pregnant, when you hear someone is getting a new pet, you start thinking of names for them. Making lists, emailing them what you think are fantastic choices, perhaps annoying them with your ideas.

And just like names for babies, some pet names are more popular than others. In 2011, the most popular names for dogs and cats were strikingly like "people" names. For cats, Bella, Lucy, Chloe, and (of course) Kitty all made the top 10 list for feminine felines, while Max, Tiger, Charlie, Oliver, and Smokey were top picks for male cats. Popular choices for girl pups were Bella (thank you Twilight), Daisy, Lucy, Molly, and Lola, while the male pooches were named Max, Buddy, Charlie, Bear, and Rocky. So weird that Max was top for both cats and dogs, huh?

(Not to leave our aquatic friends out there, top fish choices were Jaws, Goldie, Nemo, Elvis, Finley, and Dory...yup, movies influenced the naming process here too.) 

So, what did my friend name her dog? I gave her great options like Zoom, Harry, Moose, Zip, Houndsley, Burt, Seymour, Percy, Mac, Doc, Jazz, Rufus and Spike. They had planned on naming it Darcy (she's an English professor), but the sweet little guy was just not a Darcy. Big paws, big guy, he needed a big name. They decided on a perfect one: Tank.

What are your pets' names? What were the names of your pets growning up? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/GlobalP

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (81-90):
mik1of3
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Growing up:  Dogs:     George, Shadow, Zeus, Samantha, Summer, Bandit
                       Birds:     Clancy, Chewy (parakeets) and Tennyson (baby blue jay we   hand raised)

Adult:     Dogs:  Turbo, Shelby, Joker, Tara, Tasha and Nash
               Cats:  Smoke, Magellyn

tazmidgiefairy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Snowball-cat
Francies- cat
Smokey-cat
Rere-cat
Spooky-cat
Tit tat-cat
Tiger-cat
Tips-cat
Marble-cat
Augie-dog
Kulah-dog
Sandy-dog
Resse-guinea pig
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I have a dog named Max, and 2 cats. Baby Cat and DumDum. Dum Dum earned his name.

teesoloca
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM

cat named Lucifer

wolfgirlbec
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM
My family dog's name was Farquhar(we didn't name him btw,but it's a scottish island),family cat was Dixie & the pets we have now are;
Kage(pronounced Ka-gay,it is japanese for shadow) for our black german shepherd,Hershey for our Mutt,Jiji and Mystery for our 2 black kittens,& Willow for dd's chinese dwarf hamster
JanuaryBaby06
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Growing Up:

Snowball & fluff -cats (they were sisters)

Maggie (cat)

Now:

we just got our 1st family pets today nd are undecided on names!! They are cats and for cat1 we are thinking either Harley (after Harley Quinn- Joker's G/F) or Wednesday (we bought her home on a Wednesday and my Husband is a huge Adams Family fan). and cat #2 is going to be either Selena (Selena Kyle is Cat Woman) or Meela (whichisjust super cute and girly sincei never got to use anynames like that-lol). Kitten 1 is white with light and lighter greys and kitten 2 is black with white onher neck, belly and paws.

jendawn1
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Misty blue (misty) cat
Freddie (fredsters) dog
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

We have four pets currently.

Giant black male cat-Howard

Giant female white cat (H's sister)-Bernadette

Black and white kitten (not related)-Fuzzy

King Charles Cavalier Spaniel-Jack

We only named Fuzzy. My son did actually. However, I LOOOOVE the name Bernadette. We had Jack's brother Buddy first, but he passed away and my friend gave us Jack back to ease the kids sadness.

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I've had (over my life) a cat Daphne (she ran away...boooooo), a cat Sierra, a dog Coby-Ray, a dog Roxy, a dog Sasha, a dog Chloe, etc...

sweetpea1269
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Our current 2 dogs, Nuka and Mojo. Our current 3 cats, Baby Stones (because that's how my 2 yo at the time said Davey Jones), Sephira and Chevelle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80