Group Home

I am having a really hard time with reading this and not being mad!!!

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM
  • 48 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

Agree with dad Make-A-wish should help another child about to die?

get real dad, the little girl deserves it!

on the fence...agree with dad but don't think it's right either way you go...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

Quote Like Reply to Post

Father dashes Make-A-Wish dream for daughter

Whitney Hughes and daughter McKenna May (Enoch Wu/Sentinel-Tribune)The mother and grandmother of 4-year-old McKenna May, who survived leukemia, are collecting money to get the little Ohio girl to Disney World after her father nixed a Make-A-Wish trip to the theme park.

McKenna's father, William May of Toledo, said using Make-A-Wish money for a child who is "free and clear" of illness is an improper use of donations made to the organization. "I think it should go to kids who only have six months to live," he told the Sentinel-Tribune of Bowling Green, Ohio.

The charity requires that parents have to sign off for a child to accept a trip.

After going through two years of cancer treatment that included spinal taps, chemotherapy and hospitalizations because of reactions to the treatments, McKenna's mother, Whitney Hughes, and grandmother, Lori Helppie, feel she deserves the trip.

So they've pulled their family's request with Make-A-Wish and are placing collection jars around the community to raise the needed $3,500 to fund the trip on their own.

The important thing is to get her there," Helppie told the newspaper. "She loves Mickey Mouse. She loves Cinderella." "She's really excited," Hughes said. "It's all she's talked about for the last three months."

Helppie and Hughes are outraged at May's refusal and claim McKenna's father is just trying to get back at them over visitation privileges. May was just granted visitation earlier this year, according to the Sentinel-Tribune.

The father, however, blames McKenna's mother and grandmother for keeping him from seeing his daughter. "I wasn't allowed to be involved," May said. "It ticked me off."

Susan McConnell, president and CEO of Make-A-Wish for Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, said that McKenna clearly qualifies for a wish since she has gone through so much in her two-year struggle to beat leukemia, the newspaper reported.

McConnell said it is unfortunate that the family yanked their request for a wish since the father wouldn't sign off. "She's been through a lot," she said of McKenna. "What I really feel bad about is she is stuck in the middle."

I know that this is posted as one of the hot topics...but i was just curious as to what you ladies think!!! Honestly i am having a VERY hard time with agreeing with dad, how can someone be so calous as to do this to his child just to get back at the mother??? It's just really sad that this little girl has fought so hard and dear old dad yanked it all away!!!

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jpalmer
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Sad...sad...sad!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avpriddis
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's sad that the parents have to blame each other and put their kid in the middle like that. But, I agree with the dad. I think the Make a Wish foundation and donations to it should be used for kids who don't have much longer to live. My parents never took me to Disney Land, it didn't hurt my childhood.

It's rough that this little girl has gone through so much, but she now still has her whole live in front of her. Other kids don't.

And I'm sorry but I disagree with you saying Dad yanked it all away after she fought so hard. She didn't fight hard to get a free trip to Disney Land. She fought hard to LIVE. Dad hasn't yanked her life away just because he is putting others first.

malexander2009
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Why would any father do that

lillucky8
by Jen on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Oh my.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jpalmer
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Sorry i should have clarrified...i ment she fought/worked hard to be in remition...because honestly you NEVER get over cancer...you go into remition and you may stay there or your cancer may come back...and when i said dad yanked it all away...i ment out of his own anger against his exwife and exmil he decided to decline the trip...

And your right maybe a child who only has six months to live should go first...but if the make-a-wish fondation is okay with it then why shouldn't she be able to go???

And playing devils advocate here...but say it was your little girl...could you make the same decision dad made??? (If you didn't have the money to take her your self...cause i'm sure her medicalbills are astronomical!!!)

Quoting avpriddis:

I think it's sad that the parents have to blame each other and put their kid in the middle like that. But, I agree with the dad. I think the Make a Wish foundation and donations to it should be used for kids who don't have much longer to live. My parents never took me to Disney Land, it didn't hurt my childhood.

It's rough that this little girl has gone through so much, but she now still has her whole live in front of her. Other kids don't.

And I'm sorry but I disagree with you saying Dad yanked it all away after she fought so hard. She didn't fight hard to get a free trip to Disney Land. She fought hard to LIVE. Dad hasn't yanked her life away just because he is putting others first.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

How sad. :(

mommy2lexinmark
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Wat a dead beat loser
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM
That "dad" is a turbo douche.
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with him. I may not agree with the real reason that he did it, but I agree with what he said.

The donations are for children who are going to die. That allows not only the.child, but also the family to have positive last memories, opposed to.ones filled with pain and sadness.

There are other organizations for ill children. The family has time to save up for this trip. The families of children who are dying do not have time on their hands.

The visitation and revenge crap aside, the dad was right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Make a Wish clearly states that the wishes are NOT just for children that are terminal. They are for any child with a life threatening condition or disease. This girl obviously qualifies, and should have her wish!

I understand the dad's reservations, if he is truly feeling like they would be taking advantage of the foundation- when our doctor first told us that my son could have a wish I was absolutely against the idea. I knew we could lose him, but I felt like agreeing to a wish was like admitting we definitely would! It took me about a year to come around and agree to let them grant a wish for Elijah... And when they flew us to Disney World, he was. 3 months post-op from his last, life saving brain surgery. He was not terminal. He was recovering! He is now 2.5 years post-op and doing better than he ever has in his life, but I know that he deserved that week. The healing and innocence that he was given that week cannot be compared to anything else!
Many wishes are "goodbyes" but many, like my son's are the begining of healing and returning to childhood after a horrendous fight for life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci