Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

okay i have to ask...be honest!!! please...

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM
  • 123 Replies
The elementary schools in my area believe in class room group sharing...which means that when you get your school list of school suplies they take everything you send/bring in for your little one and put them in a huge container...then redistrubte them out to small groups of kids at tables...for instance a tray sits in the middle of a group of like four desks and on this tray are several cups of mixed crayons, a cup of pencils, cup of scissors, and cups of markers, ect...

They also do this so just incase a student(s) parent(s) can't afford all of the supplies the child(ren) di not go without...

So if you are the type of parent (like i am) you go and buy the name brand supplies (because honestly i like them better) and send them to school with your kiddo...then you find out that the supplies you bought, your kiddo is not even using them...little johnny or susie is...you go as far as telling the teacher that you want your child to use the supplies you provide your child with and she very polietly says that's not our policy sorry...

Sooooooooo...

Do you continue to buy the name brand or just buy whatever is cheapest because chances are your kiddo isn't going to be using them anyhow...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

We buy whatever is cheapest if we know that it is going into a pot to be shared.  Honestly, with my husband being out of work, we buy whatever is cheapest anyway!

Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM
5 moms liked this
I buy whatever I feel I can afford, and figure one crayon is the same as the next. I think the classrooms that share supplies are a great lesson for kids and parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Buy the cheap stuff! That sucks!

jpalmer
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Lol...i coupon stuff to death so i normally buy in bulk and give them to the school so that i know there might be a slim chance that my kiddo will be able to use the name brand i buy...lmao!!!

But i know the feeling of trying to save money...coupons are your best friend...

Quoting anotherandree:

We buy whatever is cheapest if we know that it is going into a pot to be shared.  Honestly, with my husband being out of work, we buy whatever is cheapest anyway!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM
I buy whatever brand the PTO sells at school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jpalmer
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this
I can appreciate the concept behind their reasons...

but as a use to be artist all crayons are NOT the same...lol!!! Rosa art crayons are more waxy then crayola crayons, crayola's give a smoother finish...sorry just had to say it...lol...the only time i get to draw anymore is if it's on a permission slip...smh...i wish i could draw more...hmmmmmm...maybe i will...lol

Quoting Elyssa414:

I buy whatever I feel I can afford, and figure one crayon is the same as the next. I think the classrooms that share supplies are a great lesson for kids and parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I would probably buy one for all the students.

jpalmer
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM
So that means that you would be buying 30 of each item on the supplies list...right???

Quoting EireLass:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I buy what the teacher asks for in regards to my children's lists.

Almost all parents do.

As a teacher, when I get a bad knock off brand that is not up to par, I put it aside for a project or something where it may not be an issue - I do not even put it out for the kids.  Of course, then it is up to me to make up for that parent who did not bring in the item as asked.

Shellness
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Me too, lol! Great minds think alike!

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)