Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: No-Cook Dinners for Sizzling Days

Posted by   + Show Post

Seriously, summer? Today's low-90s temps are a "not so bad" day for those of us who hate heat, and to think a few summers ago I was complaining about that. No matter how much you love the hot stuff, though, cooking in this weather is an exercise in misery. No one in their right minds is turning on the oven right now, and even the stove can heat up the kitchen to sauna-like temps.

On these days, no one in my house has much of an appetite, either, so slaving over a hot grill would be useless. We're all about the no-cook dinners. Here are some ideas:

Leftover night: I was forced into this when we had sporadic power about a month ago and I wanted to eat stuff in the fridge before it went bad; to my great surprise, my kids LOVED it and we've done it a few times since. It's a great way to use up those little bits of things that aren't enough for a meal for one person, but everyone can enjoy a little taste of along with other things.

Snack night: Put out cheese, crackers, fruit, veggies with dip, maybe some cold cuts and whatever else you like and let everyone nibble until they're full.

Meze: Middle Eastern cuisine boasts the meze, which is a platter of delicious bites meant as an appetizer. If you are lucky enough to live near a place that has great Middle Eastern food, you already know how great hummus, baba ganouj, tabbouleh, fattoush, and stuffed grape leaves taste on a wilting-hot night, and they're all served cold. On too tight of a budget for takeout? You can make your own.

Ice cream for dinner: I haven't talked my husband into this yet, but I have friends who do it on miserably hot nights. If you want something healthy, top frozen yogurt with fruit. And hey, sometimes it's OK to be fun mom, right?

Salad night: We do everything from a hearty green salad with fruit, nuts and cheese to a combo of grain, bean, or pasta salads; refreshing and hits the spot on a warm night.

What are your favorite too-hot-to-cook meals?

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-49):
heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jul. 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM

build-your-own salads and wraps, and subs.

fraujones
by Amanda on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Salad. 

aubsmom09
by Erin on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Salad or Sandwiches

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Salads and sandwhichs

BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I like fresh, homemade salads with mozzeralla.

BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Quoting heydooney:

build-your-own salads and wraps, and subs.

and wraps too!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Good ideas!!

buttersworth
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Sandwhiches or subs with all the fixin's like pickled eggplant, mild banana peppers, mancini peppers, olive oil and vinegar. For sides, pasta and/or potato salad, tomato-mozarella with a vinegrette, green salad -some combination of these - and of course, potato chips

Potato chips are actually good for you! Check out the nutrition information on a package of chips and compare to any crackers or veggie stick snacks. Potato chips are actually the best, with the most vitamins.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:54 AM

those are great ideas! we do makeable lunchables sometimes....crackers and deli meats

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN