Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Olympic-Inspired Workout Moves

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm glued on my couch. I'm mesmerized. I'm watching amazing athletes from all over the globe compete in the Olympics. Awe-inspiring to say the least, the amount of training and preparation it takes to get to their level...and it should inspire me to peel myself off of the couch and get my body moving, right? While still sitting on the couch, I found some pretty awesome Olympic-inspired workout moves. Who's with me? We can even do them while watching those men and women go for the gold!

Arms --  To get some super-toned arms like those women on the beach volleyball team, grab two dumbbells and have your feet about hip distance apart. Tighten that core and move your arms like you were running...but not as fast, obviously. Raise one up and in front of you (up to about nose-height) as the other arm is swinging back. Switch, again, moving arms as fi you are running, but more controlled. Do for three sets. (thanks to Amanda Russell for this one.)

Endurance - Okay, so maybe you can't watch TV while you do this one, but you can get the kids involved. Just do some basic sprints. Sprint forward for 10 yards, then back. Rest for 5 seconds and do it again. Do it six times and then rest for a minute. Then do the whole set over again two more times. 

Legs - This lunge-toe touch combo looks hard but you will get uber-toned legs. Start from a standing position. Step into a lunge with your left leg while keeping your right knee above the ball of the right foot.
 Pull in your abdominals, lift your left leg in front of your left hip (while keeping it straight) and reach for your left foot with your right hand.
Step back into a lunge. Exhale to stand. Complete 12 repetitions on each leg. 

Core work - Every athlete's main strength comes from his or her core. One of the best positions to work your core is the basic plank. Here's how: Get in the pushup position, only put your forearms on the ground instead of your hands. Your elbows should line up directly underneath your shoulders. Toes on the ground. Squeeze your glutes and tighten your abdominals. Keep a neutral neck and spine. Create a straight, strong line from head to toes - a plank, if you will. Hold that position. 

Oh -- and if you have a gym, try out the rowing machine or the pool for a total body workout!

Are you watching the Olympics? Does it make you want to workout? 

©iStockphoto.com/gerhingj

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM
I have been doing crunches while i watch. All the flat tummies have inspired me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I have watched some of it.
Great tips thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM

We are not watching.

wandep
by Pam on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM

No, but I miss going to my Curves! With the kids home for the summer it is kinda hard to go. I go when I can.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I love watching the Olympics, and I wish I could get motivated to work out... I love hearing some simple moves that I can do, maybe I'll try to work some into my day!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM

We are watching the Olympics and the athletes are very inspiring!

JerseyGirl511
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Love watching the Olympics, been watching since the Opening Ceremonies.  My favorite -- Michael Phelps of course.  Love watching him swim.  Watching the athletes does make me wish I could work out more.  Since I have a rare muscle disease, my workouts are kinda of limited, but I will starting a workout program with the new diet (lifestyle change) I will starting in the next few days.

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

we have been watching and it has made dh want to work out more 

AstuteMama
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I don't watch the Olympics. I think watching the Olympics is boring just like watching all other sports on TV.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM
He is my favorite too!

Good luck with your program!

Quoting JerseyGirl511:

Love watching the Olympics, been watching since the Opening Ceremonies.  My favorite -- Michael Phelps of course.  Love watching him swim.  Watching the athletes does make me wish I could work out more.  Since I have a rare muscle disease, my workouts are kinda of limited, but I will starting a workout program with the new diet (lifestyle change) I will starting in the next few days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)