Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: Emergency Items We All Need Around the House

Posted by   + Show Post

I was doing some spring-cleaning in the summer-almost fall time, and I ran across our first aid kit. It is nestled next to some dust masks and our crank radio. Last summer in August, we had a hurricane here in NYC. Granted, it was a very odd occurrence for here, but it is common in other parts of the country and world - as are tornadoes and other natural disasters. We've had the radio for about 11 years now, as well as the first aid kit, but when news hit that the hurricane was heading our way, we didn't have batteries or candles or even matches. It got me thinking about what I should stock up on to have at the ready. A few hours now can truly make a difference later.

I did some research and here's a list - long, but probably by no means complete - of what we should all have, tucked away in a corner of a closet, in a waterproof, durable duffle bag or two. Start small, keep this list in your purse and cross it off as you collect the items when you are out and about. 

Long-lasting candles

Matches

Rechargeable, waterproof flashlight

Regular flashlight

LED Lantern Light (battery-powered and/or solar-powered)

Batteries

Mini radio, preferably hand cranked

Survival knife

First aid kit

Map of your area and an Atlas

Ponchos for everyone

Blankets

Rope

Duct tape

Water

Water purification tablets

Contact info written out (such as people, bank, doctors, hospitals, airports, trains stations)

A decent amount of cash

Plastic garbage bags

Copies of vital information in a plastic Ziploc bag (Insurance documents, birth and marriage certificates, Social security documents, bank information)

Essential medications and eyewear for everyone in your family

Non-perishable food (think canned goods, protein bars, and the like)

Hand-held can opener

2-3 changes of clothing for members of the family 

The experts recommend you go through it every six months and switch out what may not fit members and to up date anything. Not fun to think about, I know, but let's be safe.

Do you have a stash of things ready for emergencies? What do you need to get?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/sashkinw

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM
i have most of that stuff i just need to get it together.
Ms.Marsh
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Hi. Its Sarah, again. I do not have any children; but a friend of mine does. And he is trying his best to make his eight year old happy. He is a very busy man. He works for the police department; so technically, in case of an emergency; she/ or the babysitter just has to call 911. Pretty much... But, for all the woman; who do not police man friends; I would go out; and get a first aid kit. And. Put the number of the police station of your town on your refridgator.

LuvmyAiden
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM

We prep and run a business that caters to preppers so we definitely have the emergency stash. So many people don't get how important it is and don't even have the essentials to make it through something like a small power outage or natural disaster. It's awesome that you are spreading the word!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

i have some of the items

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM

i need to gather everything into one

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I have less then half on this list

KristinRox
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I dont have anything ready for an emergency. Perhaps Ill have to take time out to put together some sort of duffle bag of stuff.

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Randomly around the house, but I think making an emergency box is a great idea.

anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM
We have none of those!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM

We do not but need too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN