Group Home

Smarter Mom: New Music Hook-Up

Posted by   + Show Post

I work to music. I work out to music. I ride the subway to pickup Kiddo with tunes from my iPhone piped into earphones. Needless to say, I listen to a lot of music. And, at times, I get, well, bored with what is on my playlist. Yes, even though I love love love Adele and Vampire Weekend, I sometimes need to switch it up. I am in search of new artists all of the time - not necessarily new to the music scene, but new to me. 

Here are a few "newish" artists and bands I've discovered recently (or re-discovered):

Fun. - With two albums out, they are at the top of my must-play right now. A little alt-rock, a lot really cool, their songs keep you moving along, whether it is working or working out. You will win super high "cool mom" points when you download them.

Esperanza Spalding  -- The first jazz musician to win a Grammy for best new artist, she's performed for Nobel Prize winners and at the White House numerous times. Multi-instrumental and a singer, her music blends traditional jazz with international influences. Seriously, even if you have never liked jazz before, give her a try...I bet you will love it.

Foster the People -- The indie pop trio's megahit "Pumped Up Kicks" is in heavy rotation on my iPhone. It is the reason they shot to stardom, but their talent is why they stayed there. They've toured, they played with Maroon 5 and the Beach Boys, they just have a groovy, kickin' vibe that is perfect for that afternoon of cleaning.

Yo Yo Ma  -- Again, someone who is not new to the music scene by any stretch of the imagination. He may have catapulted classical music into the forefront for many, this genius cellist has made classical music accessible to millions. He has some new albums out, with some awesome bluegrass musicians as well as collaboration and participation with The Silk Road Project.

Soundtracks -- Okay, so not technically a band or an artist, but I have rediscovered my love of soundtracks.  The tunes from the movie O Brother Where Art Thou is a favorite, as is some instrumental ones, like the score from How To Train your Dragon or Ratatouille. A novel idea to check out, ideal as a backdrop when you are paying bills or surfing around Cafe Mom.

Help me out -- what music are you listening to these days? What news ones should I try?

ŠiStockphoto.com/damedeeso

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
wandep
by Pam on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Country, oldies, bluegrass a few others.

wendums1229
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I like the oldies and Doo Woop, Country and Southern Rock. I listen to I Heart Radio on my computer. I like the tunes that you can understand the words to but that has a good feel to it also. Then again it depends on my mood too lol :~@)

malexander2009
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM
I prefer hymns and good old fashioned gospel music
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I listen to most everything, I prefer older music. Most of the music released these days is garbage. *sigh* I sound like my parents...

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

i only listen to the radio in the car. i dont have an mp3 player or a cd player. so what ever is on I listen to. and only when alone with the kids. DH hates noise in the car :(

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

i only listen to Depeche Mode and Radiohead on any given day LOL..sorry

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM
I like all kinds of music. Just been listening to the radio lately, and my toddlers music! I really want an ipod...hopefully soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Sarah on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Country and Rick I live me some Adam lavine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koolkidsmom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Sorry to say I've kind of gotten away from listening to much music and my big CD collection just sits there.  You've inspired me to get out of my depression and feel better.

koolkidsmom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I've got a lot of the older jazz greats and love them but also love Bob Marley, Elton John and some newer singers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80