Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Fix My Morning Routine!

Posted by   + Show Post

Days of lazy mornings are dwindling and a reader inquires just how to make the first hours of the day go a little (okay, a lot) smoother.

Mommawanna asks "I am dreading back-to-school, mainly because I hate our mornings. It seems getting everyone - including myself - out of the door is an epic battle. We are late, tempers get high, something doesn't work. I need help figuring this out now! Help!" 

People fall into two categories: morning people and non-morning people. I am on Team Morning Person. I wake up fairly quickly (with java clutched in hand). However, even as a life-long good waker-upper, some mornings are just plain rough. I think the key here is organization and planning. Now, that always isn't possible, but trying to get a good system in place just may be a way to get the day going on a good, smiley foot (can feet smile?). Here are some hints:

-- Get up before your kids. Yes, I know, sleep is precious, but getting up even 20 minutes can allow you to ease into the day, fix that tea or cup of coffee, shower, whatever you need to make the morning go a little faster without interruption.

-- Give the kids control. When you are kids are old enough (about 4 or 5) they can do many things: dress themselves, pour their own cereal, wake up and so on. Put a checklist of what each kid is responsible for, so they can have reminders of their morning tasks.

-- Be organized. Part of what will help the above idea work is if your home is organized. Are the kids' closets full of clothes that they can reach and are seasonally appropriate? Is there a set place for backpacks and gear? Make sure your home works for you and not against you (stay tuned for more on this next week we will have a whole post on corralling that backpack!)

-- Turn on some tunes. Having some fun, cheery music on while you begin the day can affect everyone's mood. Sometimes, dancing in the kitchen as you eat breakfast can get the kid moving faster and paying more attention to what needs to be done before the bus arrives.

-- Stock up on essentials. It is usually those unexpected, last minute, "I forgot I need graph paper for math class!" moments that throw off a good morning. Have two of the school t-shirts, two leotards, just in case one is dirty. Have a list of where you go for pre-made pastries in case you were supposed to bring the PTA breakfast meeting but totally forgot. Have glue and labels and notebooks and other supplies on a certain area, ready to go. May not avoid all of those emergencies, but some of them at least.

What is yout best tip to make mornings flow a little smoother? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/marekuliasz       

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-38):
KristinRox
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I get everything ready the night before. Set clothes out. Have breakfast planned. Doing that usually makes the morning go off without a hitch. 

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Routine always makes things work for me in the morning. :)

fraujones
by Amanda on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Wake up earlier than you think you need to. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM

my mornings are fine no major rush or anything lol i stay at home for now (but who knows what the future holds)

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

the best thing we do at our house is get things ready the night before; lunches packed, clothes picked out, etc.  i get up before hubby & the kids, about 15min or so & get myself ready that way i can get everyone else going.

Samanthamommy
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Coffee is a blessing in the morning. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daerca574
by Danya on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I always try to get up before the kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teesoloca
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 3:21 AM

get up earlier to ensure no rushing. just leisurely getting ready, DD is way happier doing it this way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)