Group Home

Smarter Style: Beyond The Sweatpants

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

We've got a bit of a theme this week. Back to school. Yesterday, it was revamping your morning routine. Now, how about a look at that closet. Why should your kids be the only lucky ones to get a few new back-to-school clothes?

Some of us moms can use a bit of goosing up in the style department (yes, I am raising my hand). Perhaps you rely a bit too much on those sweatpants or those comfy-but-not-so-flattering jeans. I know I get into a rut, toss on what ever is handy (and clean) rushing around, trying to get to the kids ready for school and myself off to work.  As the kids head to the bus in new duds, why not wave good-bye and look kind of awesome as you do it with one of these sweatpant alternatives? Bonus: They can all be paired with something already in your closet:

The Ankle Pants - Channel your inner Jackie O or Audrey Hepburn. Paired with flats and a sweater or t-shirt, the ankle pant just bumps your fashion quotient up 23 notches. Black or khaki in a slim, straight cut looks great on any body. 

The Not-So-Skinny Jean - Yes, I swear by my slim jeans to look sassy, but those trouser jeans they are showing are really jazzing. Add that white button-down or that tank with a cardigan and you have a really pulled-together, yet oh-so-simple look. 

The Easy Dress - Snag an easy dress like this one from Kmart. It can be worn alone with ballet flats or toss on a long cardigan, tights and knee-high boots. Or just the boots. Seriously, it can be worn so many different ways, having a few of them in your closet is an super-easy and inexpensive way to update that wardrobe and leave the sweatpants for the gym and snuggle time. 

What is your go-to item that jazzs up an outfit? What do you want to get this fall? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/rtimages  

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommythree0508
by Corinne on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly? It's normally jeans and a tshirt,dressed up or down for most everyday. I have cute shoes and jewelry to make it look a little better.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I would volunteer to be horse whipped through town before I ever wore sweatpants. I don't even own any. And some moms know how to shop for their bodies, and therefore do not wear "mom jeans" What's with the stereotypes?

Not all moms are frumpy, dumpy, mombies that stay at home all day (or *shudder* go out) in PJs looking like they just woke up from a week long bender. 

My Normal outfit is jeans or denim shorts (not cutoffs) that fit and flatter my figure and a t-shirt.  If I want to jazz it up I have a huge collection of dangly, fun earrings.

mereinhart28
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:40 AM

my normal outfit is jeans (I like boot cut) and a t-shirt or tank top.

powow65
by kimmy on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Some bra & undies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I need more sweaters..

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I love the easy dress ! comfy and simple !

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I'm not much for sweatpants, but I definitely throw on a hooded sweatshirt for lazy mornings.

I've been mixing more skirts into my wardrobe to try and look a little nicer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Me too! LOL

Quoting mommythree0508:

Honestly? It's normally jeans and a tshirt,dressed up or down for most everyday. I have cute shoes and jewelry to make it look a little better.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Shorts and a tank top are my every day wear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I get new clothes when I can...I just on Sunday. I had Kohl's cash so I got a tank top for $4.86 after my Kohl's cash. I went to Fashion Bug and got capri pants and a t-shirt.

What I want to get this fall is some jeans, couple more tops, and gym shoes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690