Group Home

Smarter Style: Beyond The Sweatpants

Posted by   + Show Post

We've got a bit of a theme this week. Back to school. Yesterday, it was revamping your morning routine. Now, how about a look at that closet. Why should your kids be the only lucky ones to get a few new back-to-school clothes?

Some of us moms can use a bit of goosing up in the style department (yes, I am raising my hand). Perhaps you rely a bit too much on those sweatpants or those comfy-but-not-so-flattering jeans. I know I get into a rut, toss on what ever is handy (and clean) rushing around, trying to get to the kids ready for school and myself off to work.  As the kids head to the bus in new duds, why not wave good-bye and look kind of awesome as you do it with one of these sweatpant alternatives? Bonus: They can all be paired with something already in your closet:

The Ankle Pants - Channel your inner Jackie O or Audrey Hepburn. Paired with flats and a sweater or t-shirt, the ankle pant just bumps your fashion quotient up 23 notches. Black or khaki in a slim, straight cut looks great on any body. 

The Not-So-Skinny Jean - Yes, I swear by my slim jeans to look sassy, but those trouser jeans they are showing are really jazzing. Add that white button-down or that tank with a cardigan and you have a really pulled-together, yet oh-so-simple look. 

The Easy Dress - Snag an easy dress like this one from Kmart. It can be worn alone with ballet flats or toss on a long cardigan, tights and knee-high boots. Or just the boots. Seriously, it can be worn so many different ways, having a few of them in your closet is an super-easy and inexpensive way to update that wardrobe and leave the sweatpants for the gym and snuggle time. 

What is your go-to item that jazzs up an outfit? What do you want to get this fall? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/rtimages  

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I live near Pittsburgh, black and gold is a must fall/ winter...lol
bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I just bought some sparkly shoes for wear to dress up my outfits.

chiquis
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I agree with shoes and jewelry. They help most outfits lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I usually wear jeans and a nice shirt or T-shirt.  But I dress them up with some kick a** heels.

collinsmommy0
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM
I'm a jeans & t-shirt person.

Or yoga pants & t-shirt.

Sometimes I wear earrings!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Quoting Wish2Be:

I love the easy dress ! comfy and simple !

tifferie
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:08 AM
This. I work at home so I rarely leave the house. Lol

Quoting mommythree0508:

Honestly? It's normally jeans and a tshirt,dressed up or down for most everyday. I have cute shoes and jewelry to make it look a little better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM
I'm a dress and heels kind of girl. My husband was laughing at me the other day. He asked if I planned to wear dresses and heels to my meetings at her school.

Yes, yes I do. He mentioned that most of the other moms would be in jeans and t-shirts. That's fine. They wear what they are comfortable in and I will wear what I am comfortable in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I have been trying to get to nicer shirts, away from t shirts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ssgtgrl12
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

capris for spring/summer...winter jeans and hoodies!!

welcomeamerican flag ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80