Smarter Style: Beyond The Sweatpants

Posted by   + Show Post

We've got a bit of a theme this week. Back to school. Yesterday, it was revamping your morning routine. Now, how about a look at that closet. Why should your kids be the only lucky ones to get a few new back-to-school clothes?

Some of us moms can use a bit of goosing up in the style department (yes, I am raising my hand). Perhaps you rely a bit too much on those sweatpants or those comfy-but-not-so-flattering jeans. I know I get into a rut, toss on what ever is handy (and clean) rushing around, trying to get to the kids ready for school and myself off to work.  As the kids head to the bus in new duds, why not wave good-bye and look kind of awesome as you do it with one of these sweatpant alternatives? Bonus: They can all be paired with something already in your closet:

The Ankle Pants - Channel your inner Jackie O or Audrey Hepburn. Paired with flats and a sweater or t-shirt, the ankle pant just bumps your fashion quotient up 23 notches. Black or khaki in a slim, straight cut looks great on any body. 

The Not-So-Skinny Jean - Yes, I swear by my slim jeans to look sassy, but those trouser jeans they are showing are really jazzing. Add that white button-down or that tank with a cardigan and you have a really pulled-together, yet oh-so-simple look. 

The Easy Dress - Snag an easy dress like this one from Kmart. It can be worn alone with ballet flats or toss on a long cardigan, tights and knee-high boots. Or just the boots. Seriously, it can be worn so many different ways, having a few of them in your closet is an super-easy and inexpensive way to update that wardrobe and leave the sweatpants for the gym and snuggle time. 

What is your go-to item that jazzs up an outfit? What do you want to get this fall? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/rtimages  

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
sweetmissy_05
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I want to get some leggings and some yoga pants.....

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I don't do sweatpants, ever.

I love trouser jeans! They are one of my closet staples. Another staple this fall, for me, will be the new cashmere boot cut pants by VS. Dresses are more my Spring/Summer thing.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The crop pants in the link are very nice but as far as the trouser jeans link, I prefer a more tailored trouser jean.

KymberleeAnn
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I like the the easy dress.

KymberleeAnn
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Both the ankle pants and the not-so-skinny jeans are very nice but I love dresses.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

great ideas! to jazz up an outfit i grab a cardigan, necklace, or bracelet, or all three!

black.eyeliner
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM
I wear skirts and tees all the time. I dress up with a plain top and jewelry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sexette
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Thanks for the ideas! Let me go grab my catalog!
sweetbamabrown
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

This is me all day everyday. I like to be comfortable. My clothes don't make me. I feel good about me regardless of what I have on.

Quoting mereinhart28:

my normal outfit is jeans (I like boot cut) and a t-shirt or tank top.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: