Smarter Living: First Day of School Books

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

My daughter is heading to Kindergarten next year. New school, new kids, new teachers...all of this may add up to a touch of anxiety on her part (and let's face it: me too). One way to get her used to all of these changes to come in September: see some favorite characters deal with the same things in books. There are the usual suspects that tackle the topic (The Berenstein Bears, Dora, and others), but I found some other must-reads for your kids heading to a new school.

Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes by James Dean and Eric Litwin - I love the Pete the Cat books and this one doesn't disappoint. It gives a good overview of what all kids will find at school, with a groovy rhythm to keep it light. And you can sing the book while driving to school when nerves may be a little heavy.

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (Charlie and Lola) by Lauren Child - Another series that is a favorite in our house, this one has big brother Charlie helping Lola get ready for her first day of school. She's nervous and makes up excuse after excuse as to why she doesn't want to go. In the end, of course, she goes and realizes how great it can be.

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes - A perfect intro to the social scene of school, Henkes gives us the tale of Chrysanthemum, who loves her name, but discovers not everyone thinks it is so great. Learning how to deal with teasing and what to do when sometimes days aren't so ideal on the playground, as well as fantastic self-esteem lessons are all captured here.

Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper, and Nancy M. Leak - Right, I cry every time I read this, but it is a must-read for any kiddo who needs a little extra help to make it through the day apart from the loved ones. I used the "kissing hand" technique with my kiddo in preschool and may try it again in a few weeks...and I may need a few tucked into my hand as well. 

Are your kids going to new schools this year? How are you helping them with the nerves?

ŠiStockphoto.com/BeholdingEye      

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

They aren't going to new schools this year.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM

We homeschool, so no new school.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM
No new schol but we like little critter first day , fancy nancy school books
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Dd is feeling absolutely no fear about school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Great picks! My daughter is in the same school, but this year her best friend is in a different school. She is sad and nervous about it :(

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Our kids have been in the same schools for 10 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

My son is going to kindergarten this year and he is pumped. He is so excited.

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

This will be our second year at the same school. My kids usually get all worked up over the first day back. Last year I did the back to school fairy for them which I got from the happyhomefairy.com website. She has great ideas on going back to school. I am debating doing this again because it worked out so well..I will post pictures... in another post.

powow65
by kimmy on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM
DD is going to same school.
But I wished I had those books when I went to new schools
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Nope they are going to the same school again. They are looking forward to going back

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: