Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Beyond PB&J

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies
5 moms liked this

Part of my favorite thing about Kiddo's camp: they provide lunch. Which means Mama has had a lovely sabbatical from packing that Hello Kitty lunch box. Granted, my daughter had two choices of lunch: a jelly sandwich or Amy's Organics Pizza Snacks. You could say we were in a bit of a rut with lunch by the end of the year. The only variety was the fruit I packed. This year, we are going to get a good groove going with her midday meal. Anyone else need lunch ideas? Here are a few I found:

Wrap it up -- Love this turkey wrap idea. All you need is a whole-wheat tortilla, one avocado mashed, sliced deli turkey, maybe some lettuce and shredded cheese. Spread the avocado on, then chunk in the other ingredients and wrap it up.

Forget the Bread -- Who says you need bread? Just roll some turkey around a string cheese and have some baby carrots on the side.

Breakfast for Lunch -- I've seen this idea everywhere...because it is a great alternative. Cereal or a toasted waffle, maybe some yogurt. Add some fruit and that is one yummy lunch, er, breakfast, er lunch.

Soup it up -- Really. Break out that thermos and cook up some easy soup or pasta. A perfect idea for a winter lunch to fill that tummy.

Same thing, different presentation -- If your kiddo loves his sandwich, why not jazz it up with tools? Grab some great cookie cutters and send him a ham and cheese airplane or dinosaur.

What are your kids' favorite lunch box items? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/HughStonelan    

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM

My kids that go to public eat hot lunch. And my homeschool kiddos eat wraps, leftovers, hot dogs,pizza, hamburger..Just whatever they are in the mood for..And Valerie (9) has taken an interest in cooking and baking, so I'll for sure be throwing in more baking/cooking lessons in her day...

tifferie
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this
My son loves raw vegetables and fruit. I think that is mostly what he will ask for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:34 AM
She not in school yet but great ideas thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
midnghtsprnkle
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM

did the making of lunches for years, thankfully now that they are older they dont want to take lunches anymore....If they do happen to take a lunch for some reason they will make it themselves....

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Thy get school lunch must of the time

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:11 AM

my son would probably ove the turkey and cheese stick idea

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM

pbj, nutella & fluff (both on bread, mini bagels & graham crackers)

hummus with baby carrots & crackers

frozen yogurt tubes

dried & fresh fruits

trail mix

mini pepperonis with mini crackers

LifeCafe42
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Great ideas ds has lunch provided but good ideas for day trips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I cannot wait to pack her lunches!
I have googled tons of creative bento box ideas, and will be using them all at some point during the year.

A lot of fresh fruit, veggies, rice.... All made into cute little love stuffed designs and scenes. I cannot wait!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I am going to find the older lunch boxes like the kind I use to carry .. because I think the thermos will work better for soups and such ! And these are such cool ideas !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)