Group Home

Smarter Health: Beyond PB&J

Posted by   + Show Post

Part of my favorite thing about Kiddo's camp: they provide lunch. Which means Mama has had a lovely sabbatical from packing that Hello Kitty lunch box. Granted, my daughter had two choices of lunch: a jelly sandwich or Amy's Organics Pizza Snacks. You could say we were in a bit of a rut with lunch by the end of the year. The only variety was the fruit I packed. This year, we are going to get a good groove going with her midday meal. Anyone else need lunch ideas? Here are a few I found:

Wrap it up -- Love this turkey wrap idea. All you need is a whole-wheat tortilla, one avocado mashed, sliced deli turkey, maybe some lettuce and shredded cheese. Spread the avocado on, then chunk in the other ingredients and wrap it up.

Forget the Bread -- Who says you need bread? Just roll some turkey around a string cheese and have some baby carrots on the side.

Breakfast for Lunch -- I've seen this idea everywhere...because it is a great alternative. Cereal or a toasted waffle, maybe some yogurt. Add some fruit and that is one yummy lunch, er, breakfast, er lunch.

Soup it up -- Really. Break out that thermos and cook up some easy soup or pasta. A perfect idea for a winter lunch to fill that tummy.

Same thing, different presentation -- If your kiddo loves his sandwich, why not jazz it up with tools? Grab some great cookie cutters and send him a ham and cheese airplane or dinosaur.

What are your kids' favorite lunch box items? 

©iStockphoto.com/HughStonelan    

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
mirage74
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I try to make lunches creative. I have cookie cutter that cuts sandwiches into puzzle shapes and at other times times I "transform" lunches into "pictures".  (see attached)  *Grilled Cheese "House" Sandwich w/ lettuce, strawberry, & pretzel salad "Tree"

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM
String cheese ha ha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Sandy on Aug. 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM
I will be sending breakfast and lunch with Dd to school this year so I appreciate these ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by Amy on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this

We homeschool, so we eat lunch at home.  My son's favorites are salad, veggie sandwiches, ham & cream cheese tortilla spirals, egg salad sandwiches, tuna salad (that's his absolute favorite), grilled cheese & soup, english muffin pizza, veggies with hummus, hummus red pepper wrap.  He's a very good eater :)

amyjane22
by Amy on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM

That is so cute!

Quoting mirage74:

I try to make lunches creative. I have cookie cutter that cuts sandwiches into puzzle shapes and at other times times I "transform" lunches into "pictures".  (see attached)  *Grilled Cheese "House" Sandwich w/ lettuce, strawberry, & pretzel salad "Tree"

Red_Kitten
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Love some of these ideas!  My sons are 14, 13 and 11 and will eat anything, especially leftovers from dinner!  My girls are a little more picky.  So, I'm out for ideas here because last schoolyear we got in some terrible ruts!

nursetiffany.
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 7:39 AM

bump for ideas later! Thanks!

critter_boo
by Sarah on Aug. 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Pizza stuffed pretzels, hummus and pita , ranch and carrots ,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cookalkaline
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM
I found making school lunches such a chore in the morning I switched to preparing them whenI was making dinner. Sometimes I just made extra dinner and that became lunch the next day. One kid was always happy with a sandwich, the other always wanted a meal that he could pop into the school microwave. So soups, pasta lots of cut up raw vegetables and an apple were always included in my kids lunches.
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Too bad he pretty much won't eat any of those things...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.