Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Corral the Backpack

Posted by   + Show Post

Find it. Walk over to that area where you enter in - where piles of backpacks, mail, shoes, lone mittens and their cousin scarves all congregate, gather, party like it's 1999...annoying you and creating a cluttered mess right where you need it be organized.

Save your sanity (or at least a bit of it) by transforming this area into a No Clutter Zone. You can do it with the right tools, trust me. Now, the tools you need may be different from the tools your BMF needs (that's Best Mommy Friend), but here are some ideas to get you thinking.

-- Examine the space. Do you need shelves? A bench? Just designated areas for everyone? Look at it, measure, envision what may work best.

-- Create a space for everyone (including you and hubby). A hook for coats (maybe two - one for coats, one for the backpack), a small little tote or box that holds hats and scarves and sports stuff and then an area for shoes (one budget-friendly idea - have your kids do their names in big letters on a placemat-size sheet of paper and then get it laminated. Voila - personalized shoe mat). 

-- By the hooks, have a hanging file folder or mailbox. A place where kids put forms from school or anthing you need to see, as well as a small dry erase board that you can put their weekly schedule on -- so everyone is reminded of what is happening (on yours, maybe date night?).

-- This area is a great place to put your family calendar. They make a wide variety of them, just pick the one that works best for you.

Post pics of where you keep the backpacks! Do you have it organized? Share your tips! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/WileeCole

by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM

We have backpacks on hooks on back of coat clothes door.

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 6:37 AM

DD keeps hers in her room wherever she tosses it and DS has a special hook for his.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM

His backpack usually sits next to the couch.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM
In their closets we are setting up a hook system in the basement
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catngabsmom
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Pic

Not a great pic, but on the right in the stairwell is a long set of hooks that the girls use for their bags, jackets, snow pants, beach bags, etc., in the alcove is a set of hooks with a basket, dh puts his hats in the basket, I hang my sweatshirts there. Directly ahead is a shelf with shoes, flip flops, etc. on top of the shelf is a 31 bag filled with swim suits, beach towels, goggles, etc. the mirror is an antique Bombay company mirror with a ledge on it, I have sunscreen and SPF chapsticks there for the girls to grab when they use it. The "mud room" area is a work in progress and constantly changing, I am actually considering a redo with some ideas I have seen on pinterest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM

it will hang on the back of the chair in the kitchen 

teesoloca
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

on a hook...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN