Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Best Homework Apps

Posted by   + Show Post

Oh, homework. Actually, in Kiddo's school, they call it "extended lessons." Have also heard it referred to as "extended work." Kind of doesn't matter what you call it, it needs to be done at home, without the prying eyes of a teacher. Some kids love doing it and have no problem keeping tasks and studying straight, while others need a bit of guidance. Even though I enjoyed doing homework back in the day, I would have loved some of these apps growing up to help me organize, well, me. See if any of these will help your kids -- admittedly, these are for tweens and teens, but you could get it on your phone for your eight year old who is just learning how to juggle studying for quizzes and soccer practice.

myHomework - With a great calendar, you can track classes (a cool thing if your kiddo has a rotating schedule), when assignments are due and more. Bonus: it's free!

iHomework - There are so many ways to use this app. It has a homework tracker, an alert system, as well as a cool way to keep definitions or certain paragraphs from reading assignments, and track to-dos, helpful for long-term assignments or just daily schedules.

Dictionary.com - Really, if you are using the family computer, and your son needs help with an essay or to look up a word, download this app and the dictionary and thesaurus are at his fingertips, literally. Named one of the ‘Top 10 Back-To-School Apps" by Time Magazine, I may get it for my work!

Did you like doing homework as a kid? How about your kids -- do they like it? How do you get them excited about it?

©iStockphoto.com/Eurobanks         

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
wandep
by Pam on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Thanks for the apps! Hated doing homework when I was little. So glad my kids enjoy it.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I did not mind homework as a kid.  My ds is not a fan of homework.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I didn't like it a d ds doesn't either but I have a feeling dd will
maxswolfsuit
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I'll have to check those out for my students!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM
This reads like a list of why I never did my homework... It was a waste of time! I did the things that were interesting or helpful, but it all counted against my grades! My poor mom, she was always so frustrated with the whole situation. I don't relish the "busy work" aspect of trying to get my kid through the public school system. Luckily we have one more year to prepare! ;-)

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Neat, I think my kids are still too young for those... they seem better suited for 6th grade and up.

I'm against homework. Homework is just busy work for most kids. The only time a child (outside of projects) should get homework is if/when they need extra help in a certain area. Like Handwriting or if the Math lesson didn't sink in during school. Otherwise it's just time wasting busy work, and I'm against homework for the sake of homework. All it does is waste my time and my kids' time.

Many teachers agree with me on this too, and many studies have been done showing little to no benefit from homework for most kids. If your kid is struggling with math, yes they should get math homework, but the kid that is NOT struggling with math shouldn't get that homework.

I know the arguement I'll get. What about spelling words? Again, only some kids actually need to study those. My oldest, since 1st grade when they started, has never taken a spelling test, she gets the word list, takes the practice test on Tuesday (with everyone) and aces it. I have never once studied spelling words with her. Sees it, knows it, nails it. If you pass the practice test, you don't take the real one on Friday (everywhere we've been at least). Making her do spelling homework each night completely wastes her time, she knows how to spell those words.  My youngest otoh does need to study her spelling words, but should everyone be given spelling homework because of her? NO. Send the list home, we'll study if we need it.

What about Math? If your child doesn't understand/didn't complete the lesson, yes send it home for completion/ clarification. But to send everyone home with it, just wastes time and paper.

What about... Again, If your child NEEDS it, yes send homework, if they don't need it (and it's VERY easy to tell) don't waste their time. You're just punishing them for getting it.

I hate homework. Tirade over.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM
I'll definitely look into apps when we start dealing with homework... He's still in preschool at the moment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I make sure my kids do the busy work so it won't hurt their grades...but I loudly voice my opinion of it. :oP 

Half of my kids' teachers didn't/don't even check the homework. They send home a weekly packet and only check the first page. One week we forgot to do most of it, still got marked completed...which totally proved my point that they give homework for the sake of giving it.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

This reads like a list of why I never did my homework... It was a waste of time! I did the things that were interesting or helpful, but it all counted against my grades! My poor mom, she was always so frustrated with the whole situation. I don't relish the "busy work" aspect of trying to get my kid through the public school system. Luckily we have one more year to prepare! ;-)

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Neat, I think my kids are still too young for those... they seem better suited for 6th grade and up.

I'm against homework. Homework is just busy work for most kids. The only time a child (outside of projects) should get homework is if/when they need extra help in a certain area. Like Handwriting or if the Math lesson didn't sink in during school. Otherwise it's just time wasting busy work, and I'm against homework for the sake of homework. All it does is waste my time and my kids' time.

Many teachers agree with me on this too, and many studies have been done showing little to no benefit from homework for most kids. If your kid is struggling with math, yes they should get math homework, but the kid that is NOT struggling with math shouldn't get that homework.

I know the arguement I'll get. What about spelling words? Again, only some kids actually need to study those. My oldest, since 1st grade when they started, has never taken a spelling test, she gets the word list, takes the practice test on Tuesday (with everyone) and aces it. I have never once studied spelling words with her. Sees it, knows it, nails it. If you pass the practice test, you don't take the real one on Friday (everywhere we've been at least). Making her do spelling homework each night completely wastes her time, she knows how to spell those words.  My youngest otoh does need to study her spelling words, but should everyone be given spelling homework because of her? NO. Send the list home, we'll study if we need it.

What about Math? If your child doesn't understand/didn't complete the lesson, yes send it home for completion/ clarification. But to send everyone home with it, just wastes time and paper.

What about... Again, If your child NEEDS it, yes send homework, if they don't need it (and it's VERY easy to tell) don't waste their time. You're just punishing them for getting it.

I hate homework. Tirade over.

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM

do they have home work in prek? I dont think i need these yet :)

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I did not like doing home work most days as a kid

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

My DD is only going in to kindergarten, so we haven't needed these yet, but it's nice to know it's available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN