Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Those Summer Ni-i-i-ghts!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

I, personally, have been high-fiving myself for two months now that I have made it thus far without 1) quoting or 2) singing "Summer Nights" in these posts. TWO MONTHS.

WELL, THAT STOPS NOW.

::cue John Travolta singing Ni-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiights::

Don't we all feel better?

Let's review.

When tasked to provide two months' worth of Summer Family Memories, even I was a bit dubious. I mean, even I don't have fun with my family for two straight months. Then I realized that they never said FUN family memories. Which is good, because that's just asking for the impossible.

In Well, Hello! Wish I Had More Time to Talk, I introduced myself by way of my insane schedule. As I'm about to begin fall semester (hello, sixteen hours!) and we're moving into a design review phase at work, HA HA, NOTHING HAS CHANGED THERE!

And I Helped! basically outlined how I used to force the kids to cook and now they like to cook but we're still limited on what I'll let them cook because I do like to actually EAT it. But you know what? I meant every word here. They seriously LOVE pitching in in the kitchen.

Oh, y'all were so sweet in Can I Be Honest with You Here?, because it looks like we all have hit the point in a family activity - you know, organized fun! as I like to call it - where you realize everyone is miserable and no one is actually having any fun. Cutting bait sucks, but at least you can salvage some of the situation.

We Work Hard, We Play Hard (in theory) was my mantra of utilizing child labor. Okay, that sounds harsh. We encourage child labor. That sounds softer. Anyway, you will be happy to know that the four year old is still happily earning his Special Treat every week. The twelve year old will be lucky to see thirteen at this rate.

I think Feelin' Hot HOT Hot! is still important, mostly because I'm sweating in crevices I didn't realize had sweat glands even as I'm typing this. The heat has not let up at all here in the south, so I'm still using a LOT of these ideas to keep us all sane.

I was so tickled that a lot of you echoed our desire to Finding the Silver Lining in Adventures. Even now, months since we've had a serious black out, Tony still asks if we can all just turn off the lights and play with lanterns. (We agree from time to time, as long as we don't go so Pioneer Woman as to turn off the a/c.)

Oh, Y'ALL. You hooked me UP with ideas for Packing the Car for the Unknown. I thought I had it all covered, but you pointed out some really GREAT ideas I hadn't even thought of. This, right here. This is why the internet was invented, am I right?

Thinking Beyond Ourselves was a great note to end on, because I think it kind of just sets the tone for the fall season, don't you think? Looking forward to Thanksgiving, and the holiday season, when so many families need a little extra love. You guys got that one, too. It's because you're a great bunch!

So before I bid adieu to the summer, tell me: what was your FAVORITE summer memory this year?

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amy7243
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Sitting around our campfire in the woods with the kids.....

daerca574
by Danya on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM

This past weekend!  my 4 year old learned how to water ski!  It was fabulous, and a memory he will treasure for a long time too!

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Definitely having my grandsons down from Alaska for two weeks.

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM

we haven't done much this summer :(

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM

My trip overseas and to see and meet some friends I havent seen in years

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM
We haven't done a lot this summer YET, but there's still a month and a half of summer to go!
Bob192
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Getting to do fun stuff with the kids that we don't normally do.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM

summer vacation every June

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM

how soothing

Quoting amy7243:

Sitting around our campfire in the woods with the kids.....

LOswald0314
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM

The trip we're currently on to our lake cabin in montana :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)