Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Those Summer Ni-i-i-ghts!

Posted by   + Show Post

I, personally, have been high-fiving myself for two months now that I have made it thus far without 1) quoting or 2) singing "Summer Nights" in these posts. TWO MONTHS.

WELL, THAT STOPS NOW.

::cue John Travolta singing Ni-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiights::

Don't we all feel better?

Let's review.

When tasked to provide two months' worth of Summer Family Memories, even I was a bit dubious. I mean, even I don't have fun with my family for two straight months. Then I realized that they never said FUN family memories. Which is good, because that's just asking for the impossible.

In Well, Hello! Wish I Had More Time to Talk, I introduced myself by way of my insane schedule. As I'm about to begin fall semester (hello, sixteen hours!) and we're moving into a design review phase at work, HA HA, NOTHING HAS CHANGED THERE!

And I Helped! basically outlined how I used to force the kids to cook and now they like to cook but we're still limited on what I'll let them cook because I do like to actually EAT it. But you know what? I meant every word here. They seriously LOVE pitching in in the kitchen.

Oh, y'all were so sweet in Can I Be Honest with You Here?, because it looks like we all have hit the point in a family activity - you know, organized fun! as I like to call it - where you realize everyone is miserable and no one is actually having any fun. Cutting bait sucks, but at least you can salvage some of the situation.

We Work Hard, We Play Hard (in theory) was my mantra of utilizing child labor. Okay, that sounds harsh. We encourage child labor. That sounds softer. Anyway, you will be happy to know that the four year old is still happily earning his Special Treat every week. The twelve year old will be lucky to see thirteen at this rate.

I think Feelin' Hot HOT Hot! is still important, mostly because I'm sweating in crevices I didn't realize had sweat glands even as I'm typing this. The heat has not let up at all here in the south, so I'm still using a LOT of these ideas to keep us all sane.

I was so tickled that a lot of you echoed our desire to Finding the Silver Lining in Adventures. Even now, months since we've had a serious black out, Tony still asks if we can all just turn off the lights and play with lanterns. (We agree from time to time, as long as we don't go so Pioneer Woman as to turn off the a/c.)

Oh, Y'ALL. You hooked me UP with ideas for Packing the Car for the Unknown. I thought I had it all covered, but you pointed out some really GREAT ideas I hadn't even thought of. This, right here. This is why the internet was invented, am I right?

Thinking Beyond Ourselves was a great note to end on, because I think it kind of just sets the tone for the fall season, don't you think? Looking forward to Thanksgiving, and the holiday season, when so many families need a little extra love. You guys got that one, too. It's because you're a great bunch!

So before I bid adieu to the summer, tell me: what was your FAVORITE summer memory this year?

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM

catching fireflys! 

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM
We visited our grandson for the first time.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I don't really have a big memory a bunch of great little ones though!

sukainah
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

It is fun to watch them start to learn to swim.  These were my son's first lessons, and he had a little trouble so we are sending him back to the same class in September.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Quoting sukainah:

We haven't really done that much, but what we have done has been really fun for the kids.  We've taken them to the zoo, and many times went to the Children's Museum.  My oldest took swimming lessons at the YMCA and we also have a small pool for them to splash in.  We've also been on a few picnics, until it got to hot.

School is going to start in 14 days, so our summer is pretty much over and it's on to school clothes shopping! Ugh! LOL

We have our last day of swim lessons today.  It has been so fun watching them start to learn to swim!

sukainah
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM

My sons love to do that

Quoting jessicasmom1:

catching fireflys! 

KristinRox
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Hmm there are so many. We bought a trailer and put it in a campground. My kids have had so much fun making friends, playing in the pool, roasting marshmalls and playing at the beach. 

My kids have become awesome little swimmers. they had a swimming competition a couple of weeks ago with all the kids in the village that the campground is located. My 4 yo, and 5 yo both got Gold medals, and my 10 yo got a bronze. It was pretty awesome! 

KristinRox
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM

This is the first year my kids noticed or cared about firefly's. They had so much fun catching them and later letting them go. It was fun to watch the amazement in their eyes watching this bug that can light up the night sky. 

Quoting jessicasmom1:

catching fireflys! 

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM

One other awesome memory. My dd performed on stage in front of our entire city singing. She was in a singing competition that she did amazingly well in. She's only 10 but it was amazing to see the crowd go wild for her singing capabilities, it was amazing to see the confidence in her, and it was amazing to hear what the judges had to say about her talent, and how even now that the contest has been over for almost a month strangers are stopping her and telling her how awesome she did in the competition! 

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM

My DD has been catching them since a young age . I hate to let the memory go now she is older she just catches them in her hands and says "here's abit of light" or "you light up my life"

Quoting KristinRox:

This is the first year my kids noticed or cared about firefly's. They had so much fun catching them and later letting them go. It was fun to watch the amazement in their eyes watching this bug that can light up the night sky. 

Quoting jessicasmom1:

catching fireflys! 

dusky_rose
by Sue on Aug. 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Actually I've never seen that movie you are referring to, maybe I should. LOL

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN