Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you save money on groceries?

Posted by   + Show Post

Don't say "I use coupons" yes that's a nice way to save money, but not everyone has the time, energy, know how, and whatever else to do it. So what else can you do to save on food?

Put one "tip" per reply as many as you want.

I thought this group could use a thread that actually pertains to the topic for a change.

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
Rain2Rinse
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM
My husband does this.

Quoting tinkerxbell:

Don't just look at the price on the price tag, look at the little thing on the side that says how many cents per ounce or per pound it is. Those little pennies add up in the long run, or can tell you how good a "sale" actually is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:01 PM
I don't really pay attention. I always say I will plan meals or watch for sales.... I plan to. Really!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
she_walk_softly
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM
We live on a farm too but horses and all they produce is poop lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't buy meat either since we live on a farm with beef cattle.  I'm thinking that isn't what you meant though. lol

Quoting she_walk_softly:

Don't buy meat :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chiquis
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Coupons haha.

And budget friendly meals. Or meals that I can make two dinners out of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Buy all our meat & most of our processed food (we don't eat much processed food) from Costco. And some fruit/veggies

then buy the rest of the food from trader joes or other cheaper grocery store

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bradensmommy719
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM
I take hunny and he does the math, price per ounce and we buy the best deal. Its not always the store brand with the best price.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bradensmommy719
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
We also buy bulk. It tends to be cheaper to buy the bigger and spend a little more than buying the smaller every time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:03 AM

The bigger "value" packages are not always the best price per ounce. If the tag doesn't tell you, grab your phone & pull up the calculator and do the math!

I buy foods that I have to prepare. Blocks of cheese instead of pre-shredded, whole lettuce heads instead of bags of chopped, whole carrots instead of "baby". More work but cheaper in the long run.

coala
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I shop sales and I shop at 2 different stores.  I shop Aldi first and then hit the other local store to get what Aldi doesn't carry as well as hit the BOGO'S.  With this store I watch the prices and they don't increase them when an item goes on sale.  I do know others that do that.  You can usually lift the sale tag to discover that hidden trick.

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM

It's hard because I have to make most of our food from scratch due to food sensitivities.  So, I can't buy many items with coupons.  I've found VitaCost.com has really good prices and free shipping if you get $50 worth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN