Group Home

Smarter Mom: Getting Your Zzzzs

Posted by   + Show Post

When you have a new baby in the house, the idea of ever, ever being able to stay up too late again is kind of ridiculous. 

Or so it would seem. But I know I am not the only mom Facebooking or working away and then looking at the computer clock in horror, calculating exactly how little sleep I'll be surviving on the next day.

I think a lot of things drive moms' tendencies to stay up too late….the aforementioned Facebook, chores, work brought home from the office, catching up with your partner or friends, or simply just being a night owl raising early-rising kids can make it very hard to get your minimum amount of sleep.

But trying to get eight hours (or however many you need) is critical to your health, well being, and ability to not be Yelly Mommy.

•    Lack of sleep makes you fat. Being tired raises your level of cortisol, the stress hormone, which causes your body to hold on to fat and slows your metabolism. Too little sleep can also torpedo your eating habits. Studies have shown people who were overtired ate more refined carbs and sweets than people who had had a decent amount of rest….and who hasn't consumed a giant sugary mocha and a handful of M&Ms in an attempt to feel more awake?

•    Driving while sleep-deprived can be as dangerous as driving drunk -- it slows your reactions and makes you more prone to distraction and even falling asleep at the wheel.

•    Not getting enough rest means you're not performing at your best at work and at home. Being patient with your kids …or your boss…is a lot harder when you're contending with that raw feeling from a lack of sleep.

Try to get to bed even half an hour earlier …. then bump that up to an hour. You won't regret going to bed earlier, but you might just regret staying up later.

Do you stay up too late, or are you good about going to bed on time?

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Edited by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
sweetbamabrown
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Reading this with heavy eye lids. LOL! I have sleep issues due to my Fibromyalgia. It's like no matter how much sleep I get my body thinks it's never enough.

powow65
by kimmy on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM
My sleep schedule is hell.
Last night I went to bed@ 1am & woke up@ 5:45am. Nice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM

i try to get 6-8hrs a night, regardless of the time i go to sleep. usually its between 11-12

collinsmommy0
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I'm okay about it.

It's the only time where I can talk or hang out with DH w/out a toddler running around & both of us doing stuff. So I try to make 30 min to an hour a week where I stay up a little later with DH.

The worst is when I go to bed, then can't sleep & end up awake at 11 pm but wanting to be asleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyGirl511
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Usually stay up way to late working online.  Seems to be the time when work is available.

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I usually go to bed around 10 pm.

jpalmer
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Ugggg i am always up late...my youngest has been having night terrors...its driving us ALL crazy!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I've always been a night owl, ever since I was a little kid... Ever since marrying my morning person husband, I've tried so hard to rearrange my sleeping schedule. No luck. :( Having a kiddo only amplifies the lack of sleep.

Thankfully my husband lets me sleep in on weekends to catch up! Otherwise I'd really be in trouble.

Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM

im always the last one to bed too and my dd #1 is the one whos always up first

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I have been staying up way too late, got to change before school starts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci