Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: How to Rock A Scarf!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

With fall almost here and the return of cooler weather around the corner, we've got a fashion question on how to keep warm and stylish.

Kcsunshinemama asks: "I love scarfs as a way to stay warm and bump up a boring outfit. I have a ton of them - smaller silk ones, those pashmina kind, long wooly ones. But I have no idea how to use them - I see many women and celebs wearing them, and it looks right on them, but I try and it looks like I'm dressing up as a 50s school teacher or been attacked by a swatch of wool ...any advice?"

You are totally onto something with scarfs. I find them a great way to jazz up an outfit (and usually pretty inexpensive). But, you are right. Some ladies just know how to toss it this way and that and voila! - Mama is ohlala chic. Others of us need a little Scarf 101. There's been a lot written about this very dilemma. Let's break it down by scarf type:

Those smaller silk ones - One miss tie and you can look like your 93-year-old Aunt Martha. Nothing against her, but you want to look fresh and modern. Check out how Bree on Desperate Housewives would don one - avoid the triangle-kerchief look by folding it over and over again so it isn't too wide and knot it to the side. Also, click over to this handy guide that gives another how-to. Or use that scarf as a bracelet: again, twist it so it is thin, and then wrap it a couple of time around your wrist. It adds a pop of color. Another great use: when you are monochromatic or in a jeans and white shirt combo, tie on around the handles of your purse to add some color there.

Those longer pashmina or cotton ones - French women are just born knowing how to tie these suckers. There are many ways to do it (check out this post on Bistro Chic that has a picture of one scarf four different ways). I like the tried and true pull-it-through tie. Take the scarf and have it hang down evenly over your hand. Grab on each end of the folded scarf (one hand will have the ends, the other the fold part) and place it behind your head. Then pull the ends though the folded end, making it a cinch knot so to speak. I like this one as it is less bulky and slimming.

The long wooly ones - There is really only one way to rock these: just wrap it once around your neck, with the two ends hanging down in front. The best of these: the super-long ones that look like you are coming from the ski lodge. My hint with this kind: if you have long hair, pull it back or up. Too much hair and a big, thick scarf are not a good combo.

How do you wear scarves? Which kind do you like the best? Hey, let's post pics! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/efenzi        

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I just made a pashmina last week, to wear to my SIL's wedding this weekend.  Can you believe my DH didn't take even 1 picture of me?  He had the camera for 1/2 the night!!!

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I don't wear scarves. I have seen some that I thought was cute.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM
I have never mastered the scarf look but my dd just got 2 outfits with them. My boss gave me one for Christmas & I have never worn it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I love scarves but can't ever seem to get them to look right.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I have a couple of sweaters with scarves that I wear in the winter.

fraujones
by Amanda on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I wear the long cotton and wooly ones. I love scarves. 

malexander2009
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I don't like things around my neck

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I hate scarfs and feel very few people look good in them lol.

koolkidsmom
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Not one pic?  That's terrible.  Next time take care of the camera yourself and get a stranger to take a pic. lol

Quoting Juniper53098:

I just made a pashmina last week, to wear to my SIL's wedding this weekend.  Can you believe my DH didn't take even 1 picture of me?  He had the camera for 1/2 the night!!!

koolkidsmom
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM

PS what is a pashmina? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN