Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: BTS Shopping Strategies

Posted by   + Show Post

It's been a long hot summer, and the first day of school is finally drawing close (if it's not here for you already). I am personally very much looking forward to that oh so happy day, but before it comes, I have another hurdle to clear: back to school shopping.

My son is pretty well set, but my daughter, who goes to a school that requires uniforms, has grown out of just about everything, which means she and I are hitting the stores. It's a ton easier for us than for most people because if she finds something she likes, we load up on multiples in the allowed colors and off we go. But it's still shopping with a kid, and it will take some doing to find the stuff she'll like and not decree to be dorky or itchy.

My main strategy is to sell it like a mommy-and-me date. I plan to take her to lunch someplace, or out for a treat, or both. It also helps to let her choose one fun, inexpensive thing at each store...a headband, or a new lunchbox, or some sparkly lipgloss. We try to do it all in one marathon afternoon, although some people do break it down into smaller chunks. I absolutely do NOT try to shop for myself or anyone else in the family at the same time, and I try to hit the mall with the play area.

And I have to admit, as much as I have been looking forward to school, spending a day with her before she's gone almost all day, every day sounds wonderful.

What's your BTS shopping strategy?

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

She doesn't like shopping and trying on clothes, but she does like having new things to wear, so we make it a "girls day out" have lunch, and then later stop for ice cream.

Rushn311
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

We  are all  set! Kids got their  supplies, clothes, shoes etc. :D

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

We wait till after labor day and hit up the sales racks .. the only sad part is my 9 yr old ds is usually with his dad =(

Threes.Company
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM
My strategy is not to overdo it too soon. The weather doesn't even shift until October, so it is tempting to buy all their fall clothing right away... but really we don't need much until later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM

shopping online, although you have to pay for S&H its still so much easier... but we dont have a car... we bus everywhere...!

JerseyGirl511
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Don't have one as I have no school age kids.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

shop clearance sales after school begins for the next school year

pick up things i know they'll need throughout the year when i find them on clearance

splurge on items such as backpacks & lunch boxes (rather than buy cheap & replace often)

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM

we plan on going outside more each day!

alliesmom112
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM

This is my dd's forst year in school but I try to make a plan and shop in advance. I save the bigger purchases for tax free weekend. 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM

For me, making a list and sticking to it is the most important thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN