Smarter Mom: BTS Shopping Strategies

Posted by   + Show Post

It's been a long hot summer, and the first day of school is finally drawing close (if it's not here for you already). I am personally very much looking forward to that oh so happy day, but before it comes, I have another hurdle to clear: back to school shopping.

My son is pretty well set, but my daughter, who goes to a school that requires uniforms, has grown out of just about everything, which means she and I are hitting the stores. It's a ton easier for us than for most people because if she finds something she likes, we load up on multiples in the allowed colors and off we go. But it's still shopping with a kid, and it will take some doing to find the stuff she'll like and not decree to be dorky or itchy.

My main strategy is to sell it like a mommy-and-me date. I plan to take her to lunch someplace, or out for a treat, or both. It also helps to let her choose one fun, inexpensive thing at each store...a headband, or a new lunchbox, or some sparkly lipgloss. We try to do it all in one marathon afternoon, although some people do break it down into smaller chunks. I absolutely do NOT try to shop for myself or anyone else in the family at the same time, and I try to hit the mall with the play area.

And I have to admit, as much as I have been looking forward to school, spending a day with her before she's gone almost all day, every day sounds wonderful.

What's your BTS shopping strategy?

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-26):
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM

And of course, following my budget!

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Find good deals anywhere!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I planned on doing a one on one day with her, but I' done with school shopping because I ended up seeing a lot of clearance deals when I was at Target one day . I also got her a few shirts on eBay, as well as her back pack. She still needs a hair cut, so I think we will have lunch and then I will take her to get it done.

amyjane22
by Amy on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

It's a little easier for us since we homeschool.  I just bought what we needed in one short shopping trip.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I don't have a strategy for BTS shopping. 

malexander2009
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Get everything early...like the year before when it's all on clearance

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: