Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A bad case of the "I needs"

Posted by   + Show Post
My ds (2) has a bad case of the I needs... How do you deal with it with your kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
AstuteMama
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Luckily enough my boys don't have the case of the I needs. We have were in a homeless state for  two years from July of 2007 through July of 2009. After being in the state of homeliness, my boys have learned to appreciate what they have, so I don't hear that they need something unless it is something that is needed for school. When I get ready to do our back-to-school shopping I have my boys go through all the school supplies that are leftover from the previous school year, and that is how we determine what they need for the current school year. Like this year my 14-year-old has told me that he needs an alarm clock for this current school year, since he will be attending high school this year needing to be up at 5:00 am in the morning. Since they don't have an alarm clock at this time I can see the I need for school as a necessary I need vs. I need just because I really want that. When it is I need just because I really want that types of items I have my boys put these items on either their birthday or Christmas wish lists, or they can save their allowance or do odd jobs to earn money to be able to buy that I need just because I want type items. Even when we go grocery shopping my boys have never asked for anything while we were in the store.

My daughter, who is an adult now with her own child still trys to play I need just because I want that item card on me, and I have to use my tough love card on her all the time. Now if is playing I need because she really needs the items depending on what she is needing I will let her do some grocery shopping at my house, or I will go out and buy the items that she is needing like diapers, baby food, baby wipes, and etc. for the baby. Since my daughter is an adult I feel that she can figure out how to get her I need because I really want that item, or she can go without. But when it comes to my granddaughter I try to make sure that I have things on hand at all times, so when she comes to stay the night at my house I'm using the things I have on hand, so that when she goes home that she will still have food, diapers, and wipes for daughter to use at her home.

I hope this information helps you out. Good luck mama! Sending hugs your way.

hugs

SammiBaby
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

haha I think every kid has that problem. At least I know my oldest boy is. I usually just try to explain the difference between needs and wants then again he's 5 so he understands things a bit better now.

teesoloca
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM

explain before we enter a store of any kind that she is getting anything and dont even ask. and if she doesnt ask while in ther store then she will get an extra book or extra cuddle time at bedtime.

godsgirl26
by ♥Charmaine♥ on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Its not my kids saying i need its always me saying they need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shellness
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Welll, I would listen to him and give him an honest answer about whether he can have it and if not why or what he can do to earn it!

bizzyx4
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Im weak! Haha! I cave and buy whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM

i never gave into it.  We rarely ever buy toys.  My kids know i won't buy it, so they don't ask

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:04 AM

How old is your child?  Depending on the age, I would explain the difference between needs and wants.

Rain2Rinse
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM
She has Money. If she wants something an I am unwilling to purchase it... She asks her Daddy to take her to the bank.

I have veto power, but she has a bank account that she CAN take money out of. She balances her check book, takes money out infrequently...it works for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malexander2009
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM
It's a you've got birthday and Christmas. If it's food or the like we've got stuff at home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)